• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Rand Paul Patriot Act Filibuster

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/storie...ME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2015-05-20-18-54-45
Live: http://www.c-span.org/video/?326084-1/senator-rand-paul-rky-nsa-surveillance&live

This is going on now. I'm listening to Mike Lee speak as I write. I've read a little tonight about this. Unlike most filibusters, this is a real filibuster that can really work. What is happening is the Patriot Act will expire on June 1st. The Senate leaders set up a vote to renew it just before they left for the Memorial Day break. From what I understand, if Paul keeps this going until tomorrow at 2pm, he will be able to push the schedule back so they will not be able to vote on it before the Memorial break.

What an awesome move by Paul. The worst legislation is always set up and passed in the hours before a holiday so that there is no debate and nobody in the country knows about it until it passes. Excellent job, Mr. Paul.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
I've lost a lot of respect for Rand Paul ever since he started changing his stance on a lot of issues for his presidential campaign, but kudos to him for this if it actually works and prevents the Patriot Act from being renewed.

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
I've lost a lot of respect for Rand Paul ever since he started changing his stance on a lot of issues for his presidential campaign, but kudos to him for this if it actually works and prevents the Patriot Act from being renewed.
I completely agree. He's by far not my favorite presidential candidate anymore. But I do beleive he is sincere about this. I also think he is screwing himself with the Republican leadership by doing this and will not necessarily get a lot of political gain from it. I do admire him for that.

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
http://www.theblaze.com/stories/201...launches-filibuster-over-patriot-act-renewal/

Its over. Just before midnight. Now I'm back to being leary of Paul. What I read before talked about 2 deadlines that Paul needed to reach. One was after midnight and the other was 2pm tomorrow. So why does he quit just before midnight? I can't remember what the 2 dealines meant exactly. We'll know more tomorrow, but right not it seems like what Paul has done a lot lately. That is to play the libertarian card while staying very close to the Republican leadership. I fear Paul has disappointed me again.

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
This is what I read: http://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...c18d36-ff40-11e4-8b6c-0dcce21e223d_story.html
Here is how Paul’s speech stands to affect Senate business should it continue past midnight: Paul is already keeping the managers of the trade legislation from processing amendments to that bill, which could affect whether the legislation gains the 60 votes tomorrow necessary to close debate and move toward final passage. If he keeps talking past midnight, he will delay McConnell from filing a cloture motion on legislation to address the impending Patriot Act lapse, pushing those votes into Saturday or beyond. And while the Senate was already on a trajectory toward some rare weekend work, given Democrats’ pledges to draw out debate on the trade bill, Paul’s maneuverings could guarantee it.

Yeah! Paul stopped just before midnight so he didn't mess up McConnell's plans. However, we're all supposed to be thrilled that he tried to stop the Patriot Act? Really? Who do you think we are - Hillary Clinton supporters?

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
Rand Paul needs to hire a new strategist or something. I feel like he's digging his own grave here. He's going away from what made him a popular option to begin with, which were his libertarian views. Now he's trying too hard to win over the more traditional Republican voters. He's not like Daddy.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
He was the only one of the republicans I could get behind and now he is losing me. I don't know who is pulling his strings but he needs to cut them and say what he thinks.

No he is not his daddy.

Once again there will be no good choice for president.