• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Raising Pets Differently

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
Just like people have different ways of raising their children, people also have different ways of raising pets, and compromises have to be made.

I was thinking about this because my roommate and I both had dogs in the past and raised them very differently. If we got a dog together now (which we aren't) I was wondering if we would argue about how to raise it.

For example, when I had a dog he slept outside in a kennel, ate once a day at night and outside, was taught to heel when walking and wasn't allowed on the furniture except for on special occasions.

My roommates dog was given breakfast and lunch every day, slept inside in their bedrooms, was allowed on any furniture it wanted and had much less discipline.

It got me thinking, has anyone ever tried to bring up an animal here with two conflicting views on how to raise it?

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
Well I raised my dog like I wanted to since she was my dog so there was no conflicting views on it. She was suppose to of been a outside dog, never wanted a inside dog, however I got her when she was 5 weeks old so I kept her in the house. I treated her like a child so she never did get kicked outside. She wasn't allowed on the furniture for the most part. Sometimes she wanted to sit in my lap, which I was grateful when she grew out of that. She weighed 110 pounds. I made her behave she knew who was boss, you could sit your plate down and she wouldn't touch it. Also taught her to look both ways before crossing the road and if there was a car coming to get back. I fed her three times a day when we ate. Not big meals of course since I was feeding her three times.

Her name was Heidi and she was a rottweiler..

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
I'm more interested in stories when two or more people are raising the same animal, and want to do it in different ways. She sounds like a lovely dog Hilander.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
She was a good dog, very friendly and smart. They weren't too interested in training her so I guess I'm lucky. Two different trainers doing things differently could really confuse a dog. That is something you really need to get together on.

I have to be honest I don't want another house dog. I was vacuuming all the time because of the hair. I brushed her everyday and bathed her about once a week too when it was warm enough to do it outside.

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
I never had too many problems with that since I had a small dog who didn't malt much. He lost a bit of hair when we came into Summer but not much. I don't think I would like a big dog that shed hair heaps.

Elanor

Registered Member
We had 3 dogs at one point. One was my Mum's, one was mine and the other was my Nan's who lived with us. My mum and I had a fairly similar view, they eat morning and early evening, no treats from the table as we don't like dogs that beg, and not on the furniture.

My Nan and Dad however were the complete opposite, the 2 small dogs were let onto the furniture, all 3 dogs were given food off their plates at meal times. My Nan would let her dog sleep on her bed, and my dog seemed to like that idea, and as I wouldn't allow her on my bed she decided she preferred sleeping in my Nan's room instead of on her own bed in my room.

My Mum's dog was far too big to get on the furniture, so in that respect there wasn't a problem, but being a Labrador he was a greedy dog. There were many arguments between my parents over how he was treated, especially as he ended up being over-weight. My Mum was in a losing battle over the feeding at the table.

My dog and our Labrador both had lovely temperaments, as they spent the most time with me and Mum, but Nan's dog was an evil little dog. He was spoilt rotten and it showed. He was the same breed as my dog, a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel, but mine was a sweetheart, but with me she had boundaries.

Sorry for the long post :lol:

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
Haha no Elanor that's exactly what I was looking for! Stories of conflicting views about how to raise animals. I hope it doesn't happen to me. When I get my next dog I really want to raise it my own way.