Rain out rule

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by Millz, Apr 1, 2008.

1. Millz

Millz Black 7! Staff Member V.I.P.

Do you all agree or disagree with the rule that if the game doesn't reach the middle of the 5th that you have to start over and nothing that happened up to that point counts?

This happened yesterday with the Cardinals/Rockies game. The Cards were up 5-1 in the third and Pujols had homered. Unfortunately the rains came and they had to cancel. They had an open date today and are re playing it today but why couldnt they just take off where they left off? I think its a stuipd rule to be honest and I thought I had heard a few years ago they were thinking about changing it.

Thoughts?

2. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

I think games should stop exactly where they are and continue from there. How is it fair to burn the team that was in the lead just because it started raining?

Then again it's not like the other team could have caused the rain so it's not like there's any way to "cheat the system" with this rule.

I'm sure it balances itself out over time but I still think it would be better just to pick up at least at the start of the inning that was cut short.

3. Millz

Millz Black 7! Staff Member V.I.P.

Exactly, rain is completely out of everyones control. You can't do anything to stop it so why punish teams for it? Especially when they have time to finish up the game the very next day. I just dont get it.

4. Major

Major 4 legs good 2 legs bad V.I.P.

They should resume the game where it left off at a later date. Then double headers wouldn't be so damn long. I see no reason why they start a whole new game. Seems unfair to the team that was winning.

5. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

Échoes if the game is past the fifth inning and the game is called due to rain, the game is officialy over, then won't on another date. The only way they'll on another date is if it's not past the fifth inning, then they'll resume the game on another day.

I agree with the Rule, you cant really say four inning is a game when you have a total nine innings. It's fair in my opinion, and it would be stupid to call it before.

6. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

Well he's not saying the game should be called before. He's saying that the game should pick up where they left off instead of starting over.

7. TheBurberryShop

TheBurberryShop Registered Member

I agree with this! Wonder what the players think?

8. Major

I understand how the rules are. And I never said to call the game before it reaches the 5th inning. I said postpone it and resume play at a later date, continuing where the game had left off. It's kind of stupid to just erase however much of the game had been played.

9. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

That's what I said they don't re-start anything, lets say for example a game was called due to rain and it stopped in the top of the fourth inning, and they decide to play the game the next day, they won't re-start the game, they start playing from the Top of the fourth inning. They don't erase anything.

10. Major

I'm pretty sure whatever they played is erased and the game starts over from the beginning at a later date.