Radioactive materials in the ground

KiethBlackLion

Registered Member
I'm nto sure if this topic has been discussed yet. If so, I appologize for opening another thread on it.

Anyway, I was reading another discussion concerning Nuclear Power Plants and I got to thinking. If some material is naturally occuring, and naturally, it is radioactive. Would that mean that the area in which the material was found is also radioactive?

I ask this because #1) it was just one of those random things that popped into my head and #2) there's always a debate about radioactive material being dumped into the soil.

Now, my question could be completely wrong, but if anyone can clarify, I'd appreciate it.

Merc

Certified Shitlord
V.I.P.
If I can recall my Nuclear History class, materials they use for nuclear plants aren't that strongly radioactive. The process in the plant strips them down to more powerful, viable energy sources and thus, makes them more powerful in terms of radioactivity. There is a lot of naturally occurring radioactive materials, but they aren't strong enough to really affect you.

I believe.

Bananas

Endangered Species
As far as I am aware when in its ore form most radioactive materials are ao diluted they are practically harmless, they undertake lots of extracting and enriching to get to the levels that become dangerous.

Merc

Certified Shitlord
V.I.P.
Technically, every electrical source around you gives off slight radiation. So I'd imagine you'd be in more "danger" standing in your living room than outside in the woods. "Danger" of course being sarcastic in its use.

KiethBlackLion

Registered Member
As far as I am aware when in its ore form most radioactive materials are ao diluted they are practically harmless, they undertake lots of extracting and enriching to get to the levels that become dangerous.
I knew radioactive levels rise after refining, I just wasn't sure about natural levels. We never covered that in Geology. Thanks for clearing things up, guys.