Race to the MVP

S

scottmcgrady

1. Allen Iverson, Philadelphia
PPG RPG APG SPG BPG FG% FT%
34.0 3.67 9.67 0.67 0 .493 .811

The Answer was named Eastern Conference Player of the Week after igniting the Sixers’ perfect start to the season. Here is a big "surprise", A.I. leads the league in scoring.

2. Carlos Boozer, Utah
20.6 14.0 2.0 0.5 0.5 .492 .692

He is making a certain “experts'†preseason prediction of the Jazz winning the Northwest Division title look mighty good. Boozer's 14 boards leads the league.

3. LeBron James, Cleveland
25.7 9.67 5.33 0.33 1.33 0.444 .630

Besides giving Tim Duncan a facial, LBJ posted monster numbers. His shooting percentages are down but that will change.

4. Kevin Garnett, Minnesota
21.5 11.8 1.8 0.3 2.3 .582 .880

KG always puts up MVP numbers and opening week was no different as he looks like he is in 2003-04 form.

5. Lamar Odom, L.A. Lakers
23.8 8.25 6.25 1.00 0 .536 .833

The Lakers were expected to start slowly with Kobe missing the first two games while recovering from knee surgery. Odom made sure that didn’t happen as the Lakers went 3-1 last week.

6. Zach Randolph, Portland
26.0 10.3 1.8 0.8 1.0 .514 .914

With his blocks and steals, Randolph is filling the box score on both ends of the court for Portland, which is 2-2.

7. Chris Paul, Oklahoma City/New Orleans
16.0 4.0 10.67 2.0 0 .474 .750

Scouts are busy trying to figure out how CP3’s bunch are unbeaten. I say games like Paul's 16-assist gem against the Rockets on Sunday are big reasons why.

8. Vince Carter, New Jersey
26.0 7.5 5.0 0.5 0 .538 1.000

He only had two games last week, but how can you ignore production like this? Up next for Carter are the Jazz, Heat and Sonics.

9. Joe Johnson, Atlanta
28.7 2.67 5.0 1.67 0.33 .485 .778

All he did was drop in 28.7 points per game for the -- no this isn’t a misprint -- Southeast Division leaders. It's clear: As Joe goes, so go the Hawks.

10. Charlie Villanueva, Milwaukee
18.8 10.8 2.5 1.3 0.5 .516 .625

Milwaukee’s new big man is making the most out of his opportunity, torching his four opponents which included his former team, the Raptors.

Read it all here:
http://www.nba.com/features/player_rankings.html

I still believe that MVP will go to my man LeBron James this season. Considering what he is doing for the franchise at such a young age, and he is already being said to be one of the best in NBA history, he certainly deserves it, but hey, in 82 games, anything and anyone can dominate and post up numbers that could get him MVP considerations.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
It's very early in the season to start taking those stats seriously. LeBron James is definitly a favorite to win the MVP at the end of the season, but he better step it up because his team is not doing very well right now, and to win the MVP you got to bring your team to the playoffs. But if I picked a top contender in the list you just posted I'd have to pick Carlos Boozer because the numbers he as right now are just insane. But I am sure he'll get injured soon.

S

scottmcgrady

LeBron James is the only one there i can take seriously in being the MVP this year. I love Chris Paul, and would love to see him average 20 and 10 assists, yet for him to do that as a sophomore and get a MVP is practically impossible.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
You can't only put Lebron James as a MVP contender from this list because Kevin Garnett and Allen Iverson are always MVP canditates every year. Watch out for Chris Paul because he can really surprise people. In my mine he's the next Dwyane Wade. Plus my heart is voting for Vince Carter to take it as you all probaly know lol