Race relations in the U.S.

Discussion in 'Other Discussions' started by Jeanie, Jan 14, 2009.

1. Jeanie

Jeanie still nobody's bitch V.I.P. Lifetime

America's first black president will be inaugurated in just a few days. Do you see this as a huge step forward in race relations in the U.S.? Do you fear for his safety particularly as the first black US President, or do you think that attitude changes will follow much as they did after the abolition of Jim Crow laws and the passage of Civil Rights legislation in the South?

Or am I being optimistic in thinking that attitudes have changed that much in the Deep South - are white supremacist groups such as the Klan still active in the South?

icegoat63 likes this.

2. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

It's hard to say. I mean, on one hand, by making a big deal out of it we are showing that race is still an issue, right?

Instead of "the next president" we have "the first black president". While it's a valid thing to point out, the fact that it's been driven to death by the media shows that it's a much bigger issue than it needs to be. I mean, we all realize he's the first black president. Do we need to be reminded daily and hourly with commemorative hats, tshirts, coins, posters, baby clothes, bobbleheads, talking keychains, condoms, etc?

In the scheme of things, policy should be a bigger issue than race and lately it seems like people are more excited to have the first black president than a president who will do _____.

I don't think we can truly say we've moved past the race issue until we abolish things like Affirmative Action, which is counterproductive to "moving past the race issue" if you ask me. Affirmative Action MAKES race the issue.

icegoat63 likes this.
  3. icegoat63

icegoat63 Son of Liberty V.I.P. Lifetime

being in California I believe I've got a little bit of a skewed eye site on this situation. I wasn't for Obama, and it wasnt because he was black. In fact... I was really offended and still am that the little descriptive piece of him being flaunted all over the place. I want to see Obama the President... not Obama the Black President.

I seriously believed that as a society we were trying to get away from these types of (cant think of the pretty word for it... means pointing out racial things). Yeah I get that he breaks the past presidential pattern. But why cant this be just a sideline rather than a headline?

Alot of this stems from my hockey fandom though... I felt that Anson Carter made a really good point in this one article where he had been interviewed. In all honesty I really felt he was on to something when it comes to overcoming all the racial crap. When an interviewed asked him how it felt to be a hockey player on his new team after a trade; to which he answered:

"Thank you for recognizing me as a hockey player, not as a black hockey player. That's how I'd like it to be, I know that people see what they see, and they see that I'm different. But I don't play the game any special way because I'm a black man."

*Hybrix beat me to the punch on this... lol I hadnt read his post 'till after I submitted*

Last edited: Jan 14, 2009
  4. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

I think bigots will still be bigots. That being said, I am optimistic too that having Obama as our president will help those less intelligent realize the civil war is over and that they lost.

There will always be irrational, prejudice people. Racism only dies out when racist families die out.

5. PentaCube

PentaCube Registered Member

I'll be the first to say i came from an area almost exclusively populated by white people. Rural farmland type stuff. I saw a LOT of McCain support and heard a lot of stuff like "that n***** would just screw it all up for everyone". I have since moved out of the are and am now living in a much more diverse area, and I feel a lot more comfortable here and I haven't actually heard the fact that he is black raised in conversation at all here.

So, yes, i think racism is still around, but I don't think it is still around in anyplace that actually matters.

6. pro2A

pro2A Hell, It's about time!

I have no problem if he is black, white or purple. What pisses me off is when he thinks that he is more special then someone else because he is black. Or that blacks get more freedoms then whites. That is not liberty, that is class warfare which is synonymous with Liberalism.

I could care less if he is black. Still doesn't change the fact that I don't like him.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2009
  7. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

God Pro could you ease up on the partisan jabs for just one thread? You make yourself look like a damn fool. "Liberal this" and "typical liberal that". I don't mean to blow up on you but shit dude, ever wonder if he actually is special? I mean, it's embarrassing enough that our country needed nearly 250 years to elect a black leader but this guy took all the grit he was receiving and won the election. He's proof that America is finally ready to go in a progressive direction. Not in terms of his personal politics, but in terms of society and our people finally pulling their heads just far enough outside their asses to finally say, "Maybe it'll be okay to have a black president."

"Class warfare" is not synonymous with any political viewpoint, there's always going to be rifts between classes, don't blame it on the far left. There's no reason to. Hell if anything, they're much more for class equality than conservatives are (who can't seem to grasp the concept of proportionate taxation).

PretzelCorps and Jeanie like this.
  8. Stab-o-Matic5000

Stab-o-Matic5000 Cutting Edge in Murder

Jeanie, I'm a little surprised you don't know this, but the Klan is still active in Michigan. Just a few years ago they marched here in Kalamazoo.

Are race relations still a problem in the U.S.? You better fucking believe it. However, we are making steps in the right direction.

9. ExpectantlyIronic

ExpectantlyIronic e̳̳̺͕ͬ̓̑̂ͮͦͣ͒͒h̙ͦ̔͂?̅̂ ̾͗̑

I think it's going to be impossible for folks to see Obama on television all the time, and think black folks can't be highly intelligent and cultured. It's also going to be impossible for black kids to see the same thing, and come away with the impression The Man won't let them climb to the top. That's likely to do wonders for changing the equation. I also think racism coming to the foreground is acting as a wakeup call for folks who thought it was a dead relic of some distant past.

All that's pretty good, by my estimation.

10. MenInTights

MenInTights not a plastic bag

The Klan is fairly popular anymore since they teamed up with the American Nazis. The vocal ones like the kkk are the ones that never do anything. Its like they blow all of theie steam at their weekly meetings and they're good to go. There's a different group that I see every day that is far more dangerous. They don't like the direction of the country and feel powerless to change it. It has nothing to with with politics though.

Here's some examples. I know a guy who lives in the South that sees the town he grew up in and his family lived for 100 years change in 5 years. Now the town is mostly hispanic-illegal. He's tried all the right channels and no one will listen to him. I worry about what he might do one day.

I know another guy that lives in Alaska. He feels the government is purposefully hyper-inflating the Dollar. So, he bought a lot of guns and gold to prepare for what's coming.

The kkk guys are still in control. So, they get together and talk about...whatever...maybe they're not going to let any black people come to their turkey shoot. These other 2 guys are completely out of control. The see the situation detoriate every day and there's nothing they can do.

What's more; I have zero sympathy for the kkk guys. I feel the other 2 guys have 2 legitimate concerns. I'm not going to join their fight, but I'm sure a lot of people will. These are the guys that you're not going to be able to track down. They're just like you. They may be your sheriff, your doctor, your next door neighbor, they may be a black 20 year old or a white 65 year old.

If the crap hits the fan, its not going to come from any sort of traditional group.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2009