• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

qweerblue

qweerblue

Registered Member
to be honest, until Jeanie referred to you as a girl, I was completely unsure of what gender lol. Even when i pm'd you, if you notice, i tried not to include any gender articles lol, cause I wasn't sure and didn't want to offend lol.
Hahahahahaha, that's awesome. Mostly I just remember what an amazingly nice message it was! You have a knack for smoothing ruffled feathers :)

It also reinforces my idea that this little "coming-out" event was a good move; I think we all like to know the sex/gender of the people we engage with, you know? And I really have felt like I was being kind of a bother, even if not purposely, by not choosing a gender. Now, at least a handful of folks will know, and you can go and spread my message far and wide ...

No. That was a joke. But I *really* am glad that I finally decided to explain myself.

shelgarr

Registered Member
Queer....I can only think of you as a man. Mostly because you don't act write or think like a girl at all. People don't like categorizations and generalities and sterotypes yet ironically we all want to know each other's genders. It's a thrill though to see when the gender "rules" are broken and that's coming from a straight, traditional, and conservative woman such as myself.

Bliss

Sally Twit
I find your story fascinating. I am glad you shared it with us. I shall refer to you as 'he' because I'd like to stick with what makes you comfortable. They're just tits and vag at the end of the day. They don't define you.

Please stick around. It's refreshing to have a noob that has made such a great impression so soon.

<3 Di for bringing you here.

Wade8813

Registered Member
I have no problem with whatever gender identity you choose for yourself, but it's gonna cause six kinds of confusion for everyone who doesn't see this thread :lol:

I know how rough our society can be for people who don't fit into our little preconceived boxes. Although for whatever reason we seem much more able to accept women who act like men than we are men who act like women. I'm not really sure why.

fractal

Eye see what you did ther
On the internet, I'm not interested in the sex of a person, only their gender. If you have the gender role of a man, I will think of you as a man regardless of your own opinion. As far as I care, you're one smart guy who contributes beautifully to Mature Discussion.

You serve as a counter example to the socialization theory of gender which states that sexes develop genders because of the environment sexes are raised in. This was already known to be false to a certain extent, but your existence convinces me even more. Thank you for existing.
Wade said:
Although for whatever reason we seem much more able to accept women who act like men than we are men who act like women. I'm not really sure why.
When you say 'we', if you're talking about men, everything makes perfect sense. Men in general like women of all flavours. If you're including women, it's probably admiration because it breaks free from the traditional expectation that women are softer, less rougher etc.

Last edited:

qweerblue

Registered Member
I wonder if you have any idea how happy this makes me.
I think I may, because we are cosmically-connected, my love. It was strange when I was pulling on my jeans and tripped across the bedroom floor and felt my foot sink into something squishy that could only be hairball and then banged my elbow, hard, on the dresser as I quickly lifted my foot from the stomach-turning smushy, gushiness, and, suddenly, instead of bitter anger and disgust, I was filled with joy untold. I was super confused, and then I realized, "Oh, right--that's Di's happiness..."

Plasmaplasmaplasma.

qweerblue

Registered Member
Yeah, I'm a graduate student...I got my Bachelor's in Social Work with a minor in Psychology in 2009, and I'll be getting by Master's in Social Work in May with a Family Practice concentration (just because that's the most general that they have at my school) and an extra Gerontology Certificate.

I'm 28 but I've been slowed in finishing all of it because of some health issues (I'm fine now lol), but I hope for my career to be in either Health Care or Mental Health. I like a lot of areas; the only one I couldn't picture myself doing is Division of Family Services.

What do you do?
Hey, I think getting your MSW at 28 is pretty darn impressive! I was 28 before I took my first college class, and I really lament my late teens and those lost years of my 20s... I was incredibly unstable from about 16 to 21--lots of drug use and I was mostly homeless or transient--though when I turned 21, I landed a job at a factory, dialed my drug use back a bit, and found more stability than I'd ever had. A few people encouraged me to enroll in some college classes, and even though I had always been a good student throughout high school, those five years of living hard made me feel really alienated and not at all like I was capable of attending college. There was also my sexuality and gender expression to deal with, which had always made me a frequent target of verbal and physical abuse, and I was not eager to mix with large groups of strangers in an unfamiliar setting. Also, I was raised really working-class, and no one in my family has ever attended college, and my mom hadn't even graduated high school. So, working in a factory and being a Teamster felt really familiar and comfortable to me.

Still, when I turned 28, something shifted inside me, and I realized that even if I never wanted a "fancy career" and was content being a laborer for the rest of my life, I was still really curious about the world and "thirsty for knowledge" as they say. Some folks can self-educate, but I had hit a wall trying to do that and was finally ready to try out this college thing. So, I took a few classes, stuck with it, and somehow ended up with a master's degree in history. Still, I'm squirrely as hell, and being out in "the world" is not at all comfortable for me, so, I work from home, copy-editing and proofreading dissertations and journal articles (it's good to be near two big universities), and writing the occasional encyclopedia article. I struggle financially, do not have health insurance, and have to admit that I feel a little annoyed with myself for having these (mostly) self-imposed limitations that have most likely kept me from living up to my full potential...

And I still miss the factory work, to tell the truth, and when the editing is slow, I think of going back to the floor, but those jobs are disappearing, especially in Michigan, and I'm older and in worse shape than ever, and, so, I think my factory rat days are behind me...

Anyway.

So, the Family Practice route is a smart way to go--opens lots of different doors for you, yes? When you say "Health Care", do you mean in a medical setting, like a hospital? My girlfriend just got her PhD in psychology and is finishing up a post-doc fellowship at a hospital. Seems to me that there is a definite need for people like you in hospitals and health care settings, who are trained to recognize the ways that mental, physical, and environmental factors can affect well-being. I may get clobbered for saying this, but I don't think doctors are the most competent when it comes to recognizing the impact of psychosocial factors on health. So, whether its for counseling, health education, crisis intervention, or "just" case management, I think there is a huge need for social workers in health care settings.

My friends who have MSWs do a variety of things: one runs the Washtenaw County Big Brothers/Big Sisters; two run Ozone House, a local youth shelter; one works for Fair Housing Michigan; one works for the state, doing case work; one teaches social work at University of Michigan. So. But the thing they all seem to have in common is this desire to make differences in the lives of people who are struggling, to help people achieve self-sufficiency and stability, and to honor the common humanity that connects us all. The Social Workers I know are some of the most compassionate, open-minding, non-judgmental people I've ever met, and I'm really glad to have met you and to be able to add another super hero to my collection :D

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Smelnick Bathroom Wall 13