Quoted Posts?

Twitch

Registered Member
Is there a way to see if your posts have been quoted? Just so if someone is asking you something about your post, you can respond to it, and not look ignorant or stupid.

I'd also just like to see if people are commenting on my posts, also.

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
Smick brought it up earlier this year: http://www.generalforum.com/ideas-support/who-quoted-me-mygf-52990.html

Basically this is Hybrix's response:

The main problem with this is that while it could be done it would be fairly intensive on the database. At this stage, and with GF growing and already running slightly slower on our new server it doesn't make sense to add things that will make it even slower.

As interesting as this would be I am still pretty sure that the system really wouldn't be very accurate in the first place.

There was an older system like this that people were using but nothing works with the forum version we have now. It would have to be completely custom coded and the quote system has been entirely revamped since 2005 (which is when this worked). Some sites just don't upgrade so that's probably why they are still able to use this.

I mean, there are times when multiple quotes occur, when copy and paste quotes occur, when somebody quotes and changes their mind, etc. It would be a major pain to code to be honest and even then there's no way to be sure if it would even work properly. My guess is that the reason you don't se this anymore is because forums as a whole have advanced and the code required for such a system to work would be full of so many loop holes and if/else statements that it would slow things down overall even if it only worked half the time.

Trust me it would be a pain to code.

Smelnick

Creeping On You
V.I.P.
If brix would listen to how I explained how to do it, it wouldn't be extensive on the database at all. =P Of course querying the WHOLE database for ALL posts containing quote=Twitch would be consuming. But what about if everytime someone quoted someone, an entry got added to a table named gf_quotes or something, and then when someone clicks the 'who quoted me' link in myGF, it would just query that smaller table for all quotes with the proper userID. Naturally it would only keep track of quotes starting from when such a thing was implemented.

However, like brix has been saying, perhaps the up and coming vBulletin update would have something like this?

AnitaKnapp

It's not me, it's you.
V.I.P.
Is there a way to see if your posts have been quoted? Just so if someone is asking you something about your post, you can respond to it, and not look ignorant or stupid.

I'd also just like to see if people are commenting on my posts, also.

I like the idea of the quote feature, but I don't think it's going to help stupid.