Quick- I need some advice!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by hughes_collector, Sep 21, 2009.

1. hughes_collector

hughes_collector Registered Member

I'm job-hunting and turned in an application 3 days ago for a job I think I'd really like, as the hours are perfect for me and the place seems friendly. My family says to call them later in the week, that doing so will help my chances. Also everything I checked online also says to call, but wait about a week after turning in the application or resume.

Problem is, this is a very small business that's just looking for one person in this position. I'm afraid if I wait, they'll fill it. But I don't want to be a pest, either.

So, what would you do? Call them sooner, or later? Or even at all?

2. Rebeccaaa

Rebeccaaa yellow 4!

There's your answer, I guess! I'd wait it out a little. But it's definitely good to show you're interested and really want this job. Maybe wait just a couple more days. That's what I'd do anyway.

3. justwondering

justwondering Registered Member

I would call them...it cant hurt your chances...its just showing them u want it and its not just a "job"

4. hughes_collector

The difference though is that most of what I read online is talking about large companies trying to fill multiple positions and sifting through hundreds of apps, not just a mom-and-pop business looking for one person. That can be a whole different ballpark. That's why I'm so unsure.

5. Rebeccaaa

Rebeccaaa yellow 4!

Ohh sorry, for some reason I thought your findings were specific to the job you applied to. Whoops. Ok then, well I guess it doesn't hurt to call. Good luck, btw.

6. hughes_collector

Thanks. I may try calling tomorrow. They're closed now, anyway.

7. Stripes_Z_Zebra

Stripes_Z_Zebra Registered Member

I'd just call sooner than later. It doesn't hurt to try. I hope you get the job!!:)

8. Smelnick

Smelnick Creeping On You V.I.P.

You can't really call too much in my opinion. If you turn in the application, call at least a couple days later and just ask if they've taken the time to view it. Sometimes they get busy and forget to look through them. But a phonecall from you gives them the idea that someone wants the job and so they'll for sure look at you.

9. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

If they are a smaller company then you can probably get by calling a day or two earlier than you would otherwise. I would try calling them tomorrow and follow up, see if you can schedule an interview, etc.

10. AnitaKnapp

AnitaKnapp It's not me, it's you. V.I.P. Lifetime

For a smaller business, I think 3 days would be a good enough amount of time to give them without seeming like a pest.