Quick Features

Discussion in 'Ideas & Support' started by EllyDicious, Jan 20, 2010.

1. EllyDicious

EllyDicious made of AMBIGUITY V.I.P. Lifetime

i think it'd be a good idea to include 2 new and quick features in the forum.[which i'm sure you've seen in other forums ]

1- Quick Edit
    a less advanced edit so that i don't have to wait for another page to load just edit edit a few simple things in my post.
    a faster chance for you to edit the post, reducing the possibility of users to read your mistakes.

when clicking on the "edit" option, it'd be good getting 2 other options:
    [​IMG]

so it's more of a post refreshing rather than a page refreshing.
    [​IMG]

or maybe to put the "quick edit" option next to the "edit" option.
    [​IMG]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

2- Forum Jump
    instead of going back to the index forum page i can jump to another forum area from every thread i'm in or from the forum area i'm in.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

just like we have the chance to choose the forum layouts from almost wherever we are in the forum.

Also, the 1st helps a lot when the internet runs slowly.
    the 2nd helps a lot especially when the forum's database doesn't work and i can't go back to the forum index but i can only jump between forums only if this option is enabled.

what do you guys think?

Last edited: Jan 20, 2010

2. Smelnick

Smelnick Creeping On You V.I.P.

There should be a dropdown menu at the bottom of every page called 'forum jump' or something like that. You can use that to get around without going back to the main index.

As for the edit feature, that would take a lot of coding. that'd take awhile to code, but its a neat idea.

3. Rebeccaaa

Rebeccaaa yellow 4!

I really like the edit idea, actually. I don't think it's as priority as some of the other things on Brix's code list but definitely something to mention to him and work out the possibilities.

The second idea doesn't really apply to me personally because I don't navigate through the forums at all usually (I just go from latests posts every time), except when I'm checking through GD, in which case I'll just open everything out in tabs. And I've never had issues where the main GF page won't work. But if it would benefit lots of people then sure, it's not a bad idea at all.

4. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

We used to have a forum jump feature but I stopped updating it when we started having more than 10 forums... (like 6 years ago lol). I might look into a revised version of it that's easier to navigate. The problem is that there are a lot of forums now and a forum jump feature kind of feels like you just jumped off a cliff and you have 100 parachute pulls and only one that works. Panic mode. :lol:

5. EllyDicious

EllyDicious made of AMBIGUITY V.I.P. Lifetime

what about the quick edit? you consider adding it?

6. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

Quick edit will be there in the next upgrade I do. We had that before too but it had some issues so I disabled it.

7. Nevyrmoore

Nevyrmoore AKA Ass-Bandit

We did actually have a quick edit at some point. You press edit, and it loaded an edit box where your post was.

...then it fucked up, so Hybrix altered the code to make edit link to the edit page instead, while he worked on a fix.

8. Major

Major 4 legs good 2 legs bad V.I.P.

Those are both good ideas. I especially like the Quick Edit. Like Hybrix said, the Forum Jump would be a pain in the ass here. It would be easier to go back to the main page than find the forum you want in a dropdown menu. I leave the main page open all the time and open other forums or threads in new tabs. That way I don't have to load the main page every time.

9. Impact

Impact Registered Member V.I.P. Lifetime

They have the quick edit feature on the other forum I am active on. It is awesome for those of us whose internet sucks, cutting out two page loads. It would be awesome to have it here too.

10. Doc

Doc Trust me, I'm The Doctor. V.I.P.

I always liked the quick edit feature. I was really disappointed when it stopped working. It was working fine one day and the next, poof, no more.