• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Question

Msbabedoll

Registered Member
I bought a decorative plate yesterday at an antique shop and wondered if anyone on here would know about it and if I will be able to make some money off it.

The plate is called "The Balloon Man" by Dominic John Mingolla, it comes in its original box. On the back of the plate it has "the balloon man" an original painting by Dominic Mingolla
Edition limited to members of Calhon's Collectors Society has the Calhouns logo and Dominic John Mingolla 1979 C.C.S. Inc. it has a Artistic Evaluation Board Authenticated seal.

I paid 10.00 for it.

kromsales

Registered Member
Looks like it sells for about$12-$18 online

Msbabedoll

Registered Member
Thanks!! I was hoping maybe it was going for more.........but a little profit is better than none! :)

kromsales

Registered Member
Yup! :) I would just start the bidding out at 12 and see what happens :)

SamusAran86

Registered Member
Fact of the matter is, no matter where you start your bid, the only way it will sell is if someone is looking for it.

Plates just dont get bought just to get bought. I would do a little research and find out exactly how much it is worth (krom came up with a good estimate) and as long as you have the COA that came with it, you might be able to get a better $$ ammount (all plates come with a COA, I have dozens of collector plates)

but remember, it all depends on if someone is looking for that perticular plate

Msbabedoll

Registered Member
Ok what is a COA???

Msbabedoll

Registered Member
Thanks greeny!! Well I may just hang onto it for awhile.......lol........guess I was looking for that great find that was going to make me millions! lol

iggyshotthebear

Registered Member
Personally, I think how you write the ads have alot to do with if people are going to view your auction and bid.

Give all the facts first and then any extra info in a legible font with all important things highlighted in some other color than the rest of the text. LOTS of pictures help too and make sure people know what set it came from, that it could be their missing piece yadda yadda... I know you guys know how to write auctions :p

Anyhow, I would take a look at the other peoples ads on eBay to see how descriptive they were "This is a plate..." Or did they go on with too much info... I wont read it if the entire page is all jumbled together with no breaks.

Msbabedoll

Registered Member
Thanks for the help iggy!! I meant to bring the digi cam home from work so I could list a few things this weekend and I went off and forgot it so it will be next week before I get it listed. If I can make a couple bucks more than I paid for it then I'm happy, any more than that would be great too! LOL Man did she have some beautiful stuff in her shop! Old bone china sets, old home made quilts, carnival glass all kinds of things!!! If I were only rich! :)