Question to Yankee Fans

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by Merc, Sep 14, 2007.

1. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

I don't want this to sound like a bash thread but if it ends up being so, please don't take offense. This is a real pondering of mine.

Those of us who are even minor baseball fans know of the Red Sox/Yankees rivalry. It's one of the oldest and most well-known rivalries in all of professional sports. Nothing is more amusing than watching Sox and Yankee fans go at it and by go at it, I mean argue about their teams. This is where my question comes up.

Every single time I talk to a Yankee fan and I say something about the Red Sox being better (in jest or in a serious tone), I always get the, "Well we have 26 championships, how many do you have?"

See, this pisses me off because not only is this a pathetic attempt to mask dismay for your team (like many Yankee fans have to do these days) but it's not even an argument that makes sense. The past doesn't matter in this sport. Take for example the Oakland Athletics. They have 9 championships to their name, so why aren't they winning now (if that's the logic the Yankee fans use)?

Maybe I'm just annoyed that I keep hearing this same line repeated by so many Bomber fans, so sorry if I've offended anyone. I just don't get why it's such a prevelant excuse.

2. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

Personally I like the Yankees but hate the fans, in my mind the Yankee fans are hypocrites, especially when it comes to A Rod. They wanted him out of there last postseason, now he's having an MVP season and he's god over there, it just pisses me off. Players will go through slumps even the best of them, and yes grant it A Rod hasn't done anything in the playoffs, but he's the one that helps them get there.

Now to your point Cons, it's not only Yankee fans who say that, it's everyone. If you cheer for a team that has won a tons of championships like the Yankees, then yes you'll use the winning a championship argument. I know it doesn't hold up and everything, but it's not like a Yankee fan will admit that the Red Sox are better team it doesn't happen, it's like a Red Sox fan saying the Yankees are far superior team then the Red Sox. There's no more die hard fans then Yankees and Red Sox fans. They'll never admit that the opposite team is better, even when they know deep down they're.

3. LouGehrig

LouGehrig Guest

The past doesn't matter in this sport.

Nothing could be further from the truth. Baseball is all about the past AND THE PRESENT. How will A-Rod do with respect to Maris' Yankees' HR record?

Will Jimmy Rollins break the record for most at bats in a season?

Will Ryan Howard become the first batter to strike out 200 times in season?

Baseball fans remember what happened five, ten, twenty, thirty, forty, and fifty years ago. I still remember coming home when I was a little kid and seeing the end of Allie Reynolds' second no hitter.

How many championships a team has is important, but you are COMPLETLEY correct in that it has little if anything to do with the current season's team.

To me, the Red Sox are just another team to try to beat. They are no better or worse than the Indians or Twins or White Sox etc.

With today's set up, the best team often doesn't win. The last time the team with the best record won the WS was 1998.

4. Merc

So . . . the past matters when it comes to who will win this season?

That's a lie if I've ever heard it.

5. njbroncsfan

njbroncsfan Registered Member

I am a Yankee fan. The past definitely matters, but when you say today that the Red Sox are better than the Yankees, you are speaking the truth. Nobody can deny that, which is why Yankee fans just say that they have won more championships. Sure, in history the Yankees are obviously better, but recently the BoSox have been and there is no questioning that. Yankee fans are just in denial and are upset at the fact that the Red Sox are better. Chances are we will play each other in the 1st round of the playoffs this year. The series could go either way IMO, but if the Yankees win you will definitely hear rumblings about how they are better, which isn't true at this point, they were only better in that one series. That is my opinion as a true Yankees fan, hope it helped.

6. Tigers246484

Tigers246484 Guest

Screw the "Yankee" fans. First you get Arod and just BASH him. You just got the BEST player in baseball along with Pujols. He shouldnt owe them anything but MVP seasons. You dont see them BASHING Giambi, Pavano, JWright, Karsay, Clemens, Igawa, and all the other overpaid guys who some havent done ANYTHING. But because its Arod and some dumbasses think he should bat 675 in the post season they bash him. Christ he is a lifetime 280 postseason hitter...so if you are going to go on "past"...look on the stats. Who cares if he didnt come through in a couple series. Alot of the Yankees hit like shit because the Tigers SHUT THEM DOWN. NO one could hit KRogers and the bunch except for one of the best contact hitters in baseball (Jeter). If I were Arod I would never stay in NY. Too much press about stupid ass issues that is no business of the medias...and if he has another bad 3-4 games and is bounced from the playoffs he is the worst player to come through town. Listen chumps, you would be 10 games out without Arod. You think you are going to survive all the injuries and staff problems you had this year without a player thats going to hit 60 Hrs and drive in 150 RBI? Give me a break. Without him you guys were 3rd best in that division. So be grateful you had the player in my opinion who will go down as the greatest player to ever play the game.

Yankee fans are too bipolar for me. If you are a fan you are a fan. You root FOR ANYONE on your team. Personally I didnt like Sheffield prior to coming to Detroit. I felt he is really a racist guy and blamed others for his mishaps. But he is a Tiger...so I root for him.

Realize Yankee fans....you are rebuilding...not reloading. Within 3-4 years....you will lose Rivera, Clemens, Pettitte, Posada, etc. Yeah you can keep getting an overpaid guy to that, but it doesnt solve anything when the players you are getting are 34 years old or older and have a couple good years left at that. Realize your talent you have is in your minor league system. LET THEM PLAY before you sign more guys. MeCabrera, Hughes, Chamberlain, Cano, Tabata etc are going to be your future...I just hope you dont trade these homegrown talent for a quick fix for a playoff run because these guys are going to be solid annual all stars. Because believe it or not...you win based on your farm systems. Every great team has great home grown talent, so develop your guys. Dont just get them AAA ready and deal them for some old crappy vet.

They cant play each other. The same divisional team (Wild card winner) and divisional winner dont play in the first round. Just a heads up. Yanks will get LAA and get shit pumped in my estimation. Not that anyone one else wouldnt. LAA is the best team in baseball with a healthy Garret Anderson. That Bullpen is amazing and they have the best coach in baseball. Though I love Leyland!

7. njbroncsfan

njbroncsfan Registered Member

Yes they can. They aren't going to do the 1 vs. 3 and 2 vs. 4 just because the 1 and 4 seeds are from the same division. doesnt make sense....highest seed plays lowest seed just like in all other sports first round.

8. Tigers246484

Tigers246484 Guest

Then why did Detroit play OAK in the first round of the playoffs last season?

Yankees record: 97-65
    Twins record: 96-66
    Tigers record: 95-67
    Athletics record: 93-69

According to you, the Yankees would have played the Athletics in the first round of the playoffs, but the Twins played the A's.....and Detroit played the Yankees. It is because the wild card doesnt play the team in their division in the first round of the playoffs. Unless that rule has changed in the past year...then thats how it works.

9. SHOELESSJOE3

SHOELESSJOE3 Registered Member

10. Merc

It's about time you got some of your own medicine so you know how annoying it is

Then you're probably . . . . the third decent Yankee fan I've met.