PlayStation 3 Question for those who have/had PS3 W/O Backwards Compatability

BigBob

Registered Member
I was just wondering if there was a software you were able to download? My cousin's fiancee said he was told there was, but he never got online to check.

icegoat63

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
Ok call me looney but I am damn sure the No backwards compatibility is just a stupid myth.

I personally have an 80gb PS3 and it is 100% backwards compatible. I have never had a single issue with playing PS2 or PS1 games. Same thign with my lil' Bro who has the 60gb... No issue what so ever.

I have in fact seen the PS2 update thingy in the Playstation Store, I dont recall if I downloaded it or not but either way..... I've yet to ever talk to a single person who has a PS3 that has actually had trouble playing previous titles.

And on a sidenote... once you have a PS3... there really isnt much drive to play the past titles anyway when you've got great games available in the PS3 Blu-Ray format.

So worry not.... I'm 90% sure that is just a myth, because I sure as hell have not seen it stop anyone yet.

BigBob

Registered Member
I just don't want to make the mistake of buying one if I'm not going to be able to play my PS2 games on it as well. I want to make 100% sure I'll be able to. I know there's different models of the same Gig that one is compatible and one's not.

icegoat63

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
See thats where I start to get sketchy.. because I've researched it and I've found that some sites say its the 40 and the 60 that are not backwards compatible and do not have bluetooth capabilities... and then I've heard its the 80 and the 160 that have the bluetooth but not the backwards compatibilty.

I can personally vouch for the 80 and the 60 in saying they both have bluetooth and they both are backwards compatible.

Sephy

Forum Drifter
Only a few were backwards compatible. Your best bet right now is to find that MGS4 version on Ebay or something. None are backwards compatible anymore.

Also when I say backwards compatible I am talking about PS2 only. All systems are PS1 compatible. I am so mad they spent the money and then took the time to make a PS2 compatible system and to include the card readers only to scrap everything later. Anyways any system you find in a store at this moment has no PS2 capabilities.

Nevyrmoore

AKA Ass-Bandit
Only a few were backwards compatible. Your best bet right now is to find that MGS4 version on Ebay or something. None are backwards compatible anymore.

Also when I say backwards compatible I am talking about PS2 only. All systems are PS1 compatible. I am so mad they spent the money and then took the time to make a PS2 compatible system and to include the card readers only to scrap everything later. Anyways any system you find in a store at this moment has no PS2 capabilities.
I should add that there are also two flavours of backwards compatibility - hardware and software.

First line of PS3s that came out in the US (and possibly in other places) used a hardware chip to emulate the PS2 and PS, which apparently worked damn well. Elsewhere, Sony implemented software emulation that generally isn't as good as the hardware version.

And yet they scrap the hardware emulation in the US for software emulation...

Mm. The reason for it is that the hardware- emulation chips aren't cheap to produce (says Sony... which makes sense, because they need to fit another circuit into the console, which affects reliability and production costs - as well as affect the life- span of the console. I.e., if it breaks down, it's not possible to run the rest of the console as if nothing happened, and so on, and it would require some power - and generate some heat..).

So the first 40 and 60GB consoles released (in the US) had full hardware emulation for ps2 titles. Some titles couldn't run, but that was because of interface problems between the way the ps3 handles output and how it was done on the ps2 - they'd lack the option to emulate the screen- resolutions well, and the interface between the ps3 hard- drive and the way it stores info was another problem (or, they say that's the biggest challenge with the emulation software).

So it didn't really suprise all that many when the next few consoles came without the hardware- chips, but still had the emotion engine emulated in hardware. Because that was how far Sony had come, some thought, and this fueled speculation that eventually ps2 titles would turn up for downloads on the PSN. The problem is that Sony in Europe thinks the ps2 sales would drop off and die if they pulled out the stops on the backwards- compatibility in the first place. And that's probably correct. Even though it's more likely that ps2 owners would buy a ps3, than it would be for others to buy a ps2 and a ps3, and the titles for both consoles. Meaning Sony is actually losing sales on games by doing this.

In other words, it's the difficulties with having reliable emulation and interfacing with hardware for saves and so on that's the problem. And while you don't see this, it requires recoding of certain modules that some games use - and that's extremely expensive. Either because a new team has to revisit old code, and buy code- rights from the original developer (if that's even possible). Or they'd need to hire back old developers to make case- based emulation for each game. Because you won't be able to change the way the games were coded to fit with the unorthodox ps2 - and some coding practices (I've been told by people who are looking forward to the prospect of having the ps2 opened up soon) worked on the ps2 - but wouldn't necessarily run (correctly) on a one to one emulator engine.

So most likely it makes sense the way Sony has tried to push for newer titles, and that they've been working on showing off the new capabilities instead of sticking to the old. Because, most likely.., the option was to have full emulation or no emulation at all. They couldn't release something that worked, sort of, and then fix it when the black screens and save- game corruption would show up. Even if that approach, for example with advanced shaders put on top of the emulation, would've been awesomely great for the vast majority of players who just want to play good classics once in a while.

...to sum up - none of the new ps3s come with ps2 backwards compatibility, and the ones with backwards compatibility aren't made any more. They also have higher (how much higher no one seems to know) failing rate, and use about twice the amount of power. They're also more noisy (relatively speaking), and hotter.

But it's possible that some game- studios will eventually make some ps2 titles available on the PSN, if Sony agrees to fund it, and think it makes sense economically. Which seems unlikely, unless they buy the idea that they could hype the new FF games by releasing the old ones relatively cheap, or something... But why do that, when you could rather fund things like Killzone2, and push the competition off the cliff, and so on.... Obviously money talks more loudly than people wanting to play the old FF games on their new hd- screens..

Meanwhile, I can still not play my dearly bought Xenogears discs on the ps3, since the region restrictions are still in place on mine. And Europe is a region where that game was never released. So I'll have to hook up my laptop to the TV instead through a composite connection, and push another controller into the USB ports. And obviously download a properly ripped disc- set in order to play the game. Lovely. Really keeps me warm when I'm waiting for FF 29 - or any RPG- title - to come out for the ps3. Oh, yeah..

edit: there, the forum stopped badgering me for not posting in while :D

Last edited: