Question for the non-believers

Discussion in 'Religion & Philosophy' started by AngelsPeak, Apr 16, 2010.

1. AngelsPeak

AngelsPeak Wanna play?

Bananas thread got me thinking about this, and I'm sure you'll all respond with, "nope, I only visit this section out of curiosity and to respond with what I feel and think."
    But, let's just be open minded for a moment. What if the reason you keep visiting and responding to these threads isn't because you're so entrenched in your non-belief, but because something bigger than you, something you refuse to believe in is giving you that little push? Maybe the reason that the topic of God is weighing on your mind and causing you to respond to the threads has something to do with the fact that God is the one pressing the issue?

God created us with the intention that we would know him, and it seems rather curious to me that the religion section has seen so much activity lately. I personally feel as though God is giving you that little push to read these threads and absorb the knowledge being presented. It may not change your mind now, maybe not ever. But he is giving you the opportunity to learn.

2. Sim

Sim Registered Member

Well, I can't disprove your idea, obviously. :)

But the reasons why I keep coming to these threads, at least those I am aware of, are a general fascination with people who can strongly believe in something that cannot be proven, and also my interest in politics -- religious people in favor of legalizing religious morals in violation of individual rights annoy me to death. Also, I am a dick. I love to voice disagreement.

PretzelCorps and idisrsly like this.
  3. Ramman

Ramman Registered Member

Ram: I agree with you and with that premise. The same people who so virulently deny the existance of GOD seem to return day after day after day after day. I cannot count on one hand the number of contributions I have made to an Atheist forum - Why - because I never would. There are Atheist forums. Who goes there? Who knows? But I find it ironic that they come here and insist on THEIR RIGHTS all the while trampling both Ours and GOD's Laws in many cases. What annoys me is that many people in Our Society refuse to acknowledge the Rights of Christians. Or the rights of the Unborn either.

pax

4. Spooky

Spooky Registered Member

Bingo! :lick:

Believe me when I say I am being, compared to my usual attitude relating to religion :innocent: :D

What if you deep down love reading the comments atheists make because you believe them but don't want to admit it to yourself.. Maybe you're scared of the chance there is a hell and you don't want to take the risk of not believing!

And it's not so much the topic of god that intrigues me to answer, but the topic of religion; and why people follow it

*No offense meant with the edit! ;)

#Your feelings are noted!

Interesting as my view on religion has only got worse since I started visiting this forum, then again I can probably peg some of that on Ramman :D lol :bolt:

5. Bananas

Bananas Endangered Species

Its an interesting concept and one that si kind of hard to disagree with as it is founded on nothing other than speculative thinking.

We can though apply any type of speculation to this, maybe you are drawn to the religious section of the forum becausew a deity to which you dont beleive is trying to convert you. Perhaps you have misinterpreted your own Gods will, he brings you here to listen to the atheists and enjoy your own free will that he gave you and not to be bound by idolic devotion. Perhaps why he brough me here, perhaps thats why he brought Rammam here and perhaps why he brought you here....

...of course its all speculation, there might not be any guiding force and we come here on our own freewill for whatever personal reasons may entice us.

So Im not really sure if this a question to the "non-believers", its a question to everyone. Is Shivnu pulling you here to realign your faith? Maybe we can even remove a deity alltogether and just call it fate, is destiny predetermined and this forum is just a stepping stone to your future beliefs, nature may only looks backwards but it moves into the future to progress. Perhaps its trying to shake this theism away so it can advance to the next stage of human development.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2010
  6. ExpectantlyIronic

ExpectantlyIronic e̳̳̺͕ͬ̓̑̂ͮͦͣ͒͒h̙ͦ̔͂?̅̂ ̾͗̑

I post here so much because I love philosophy, and the philosophy section doesn't see much love. Where else am I going to turn for my fix?

Last edited: Apr 17, 2010
  7. k3rm0r

k3rm0r Registered Member

I usualy don't comment on the things. but i do read it. mostly just cuz i can't grasp the idea of beliving in god. To me the bible is just another book. Seeing ppl are so dead certain of there is a god up there that made everything and everyone is just amusing me in a way. No offence to the ppl beliving in this book. With that said. I do however belive that there is more around here than just what we can explain, be it ghosts.. aliens from another planet or whatever.

8. Gwargedd

Gwargedd Registered Member

Is it also possible that people post here because they love to debate that age old debate about religion. I for one do. And like a few others here am not a believer in your so called god. I do how ever as I have said before believe in a higher power just not your God as there are many religions not just christian or catholic.

9. JessEpiphany

JessEpiphany Registered Member

That's a very interesting thought.

I think it would be a little strange though, for a god to lead someone to all these different beliefs. Assuming there is a god, I'm sure he would really only like to lead a person to the "truth" and not to all the other stuff... unless, like many people suggest, all paths lead to god? *shrugs*
    I'm not sure I'm really equipped to answer a question regarding a god's intent since I don't claim to know or believe in a god.

But from my own personal perspective, I love religion. I think all the different beliefs of the world are absolutely fascinating and I love hearing about the different viewpoints provided no one is trying to convert me. Actually, I don't mind that either so long as it's polite. lol
    But I do love listening to and talking about religion. Also love reading about it and collecting religious materials, especially those printed by the WBTS (formerly IBSA) aka Jehovah's Witnesses. :)

10. PonderCloud

PonderCloud Registered Member

It seems unlikely that if there is a higher power, it wants to push mere humans into partaking in an online debate. :lol:

You have to realize that this is a purely personal point of view. Logically speaking, if God existed and he implanted the knowledge of that existence in our minds, there would be no other religions, atheism wouldn't exist, and there wouldn't be any discord throughout civilisation. As it is, Christianity itself can't even hold a unanimous belief. It has more factions, sects, and offshoots than any other religion, far too many to even start to believe that as fact. So this statement holds very little water indeed.