• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Discuss Question about Toy Story

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
A friend of mine raised this concern and it got some interesting serious replies. I thought to bring it up here and check out how GF responds to this simple question:

"If Buzz Lightyear was convinced he was NOT a toy in Toy Story 1, why did he become inanimate whenever Andy was around? Near the end of that movie, Woody established that the durles could be broken by choice."

I'll put in my answer later because I'm already influenced by some answers I've read before. I'd rather you guys read the OP in its pure state haha.

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
In the Toy Story universe, it's probably the 'biological' reaction of any toy once spotted by a human, whether they choose to do freeze up or not. Woody breaking that rule, by this theory, probably took a whole lot of goddamn will power.

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
So even if Buzz was in denial about being a toy, it's simply a reflex for him to not move when humans are around? Like he grew up with toys and he's acting like one even if thinks he isn't. :hah:

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
Yep, that's probably the easiest way to explain it in any depth. I've heard the question discussed before believe it or not and this was widely accepted as the best answer of the bunch.

dDave

V.I.P.
Merc is correct. I've heard this theory before as well. I'd like to add that it's also possible that he simply opted not to move because everyone else stopped moving. I believe Buzz referred to Andy as "master" at one point so this could potentially make sense.

Anyway, it's all speculation, the only person that could give us a real answer would be somebody like John Lasseter or maybe Tim Allen (since it is his character).

What I always thought was interesting was how Woody was able to speak to Sid without moving his mouth, some of the things he said definitely aren't programmed into the real toy.

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
I always thought that the other toys just told him some lie to do with his spaceman thing. That Andy was a type of alien or something that they had to freeze anytime they are around him.

I've actually met many Pixar people in person, including the director of Toy Story 3. Now I wish I had this question to ask them at the time!

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
Merc is correct. I've heard this theory before as well. I'd like to add that it's also possible that he simply opted not to move because everyone else stopped moving. I believe Buzz referred to Andy as "master" at one point so this could potentially make sense.

Anyway, it's all speculation, the only person that could give us a real answer would be somebody like John Lasseter or maybe Tim Allen (since it is his character).

What I always thought was interesting was how Woody was able to speak to Sid without moving his mouth, some of the things he said definitely aren't programmed into the real toy.
Haha, even toys have group think complex. I haven't really noticed the one with Sid. Maybe I should rewatch this.

I always thought that the other toys just told him some lie to do with his spaceman thing. That Andy was a type of alien or something that they had to freeze anytime they are around him.

I've actually met many Pixar people in person, including the director of Toy Story 3. Now I wish I had this question to ask them at the time!
Wouldn't that be cool? I wonder if details like these were thought of by the creators or it's one of those unimportant details that spawned into something meaningful because of fans analysis. :D

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
Yeah I've met three men from Pixar now and all three times I've been really nervous and couldn't think of anything good to say. Yet ever since those times I keep thinking of questions I wish I could ask!