Question about names

JessEpiphany

Registered Member
I suppose this question is something I was hoping guys would answer, but girls can comment too.

Does it bother you when a woman has a more "masculine" type name?

Do girls names like Frankie, Charlie, Jessy, etc. somehow make a woman seem less feminine to you?
(I know this seems like a rather odd question, but this is how my hubby feels and I was wondering if other people feel the same.)

anmracing

Registered Member
What difference would it make. Unless the guy has a problem with it because he's talking about her to friends that have not met her. "Yeah, me and Charlie when out to dinner and then went home and made mad monkey love all night." So would he have to explain that Charlie is a chick? Or just let them think what they want to think????

agata

Registered Member
In my country, we don't have such a problem because there are no the same names for both men and women. But, I don't think that name makes women more or less feminine; however, it can be really confusing sometimes. I remember many situations when I heard a name of, for example, a musician and I thought it was a man, when suddenly it turned out that it's a woman.

Kibi

Babeasaurus Sex
My housemate loves dating girls with androgynous names as most of their mates call them the boyish variation (Charlie/Frankie) but he calls them the girly version because then its like a "ready made nickname" <--His words lol!

:)

JessEpiphany

Registered Member
My housemate loves dating girls with androgynous names as most of their mates call them the boyish variation (Charlie/Frankie) but he calls them the girly version because then its like a "ready made nickname" <--His words lol!

:)
Haha! That's funny.

What difference would it make. Unless the guy has a problem with it because he's talking about her to friends that have not met her. "Yeah, me and Charlie when out to dinner and then went home and made mad monkey love all night." So would he have to explain that Charlie is a chick? Or just let them think what they want to think????
I don't know why it would matter. My hubby just says he doesn't see it as being feminine.
I also work with a guy who, even though I go by Jessie at work, will only call me Jessica. I don't mind, I just find it strange.

I have a friend named Shawn and I find it slightly amusing that once people meet her (after having had heard stories about her) they're like, "oh! Shawn is a girl!" haha!

Impact

Registered Member
V.I.P.
I have a friend named Shawn and I find it slightly amusing that once people meet her (after having had heard stories about her) they're like, "oh! Shawn is a girl!" haha!
Yeah, I have a friend called Shawn, who has that same issue.

I don't really have an issue with women more 'masculine' names. But I have a question for you. You mentioned your husband believes it makes the woman less feminine, does he think that men with names like Jade and Kim are less masculine? The assumption just seems a little ridiculous to me is all.

storm_ina_C_cup

Registered Member
I suppose this question is something I was hoping guys would answer, but girls can comment too.

Does it bother you when a woman has a more "masculine" type name?

Do girls names like Frankie, Charlie, Jessy, etc. somehow make a woman seem less feminine to you?
(I know this seems like a rather odd question, but this is how my hubby feels and I was wondering if other people feel the same.)
Answering both of your questions: Not in the slightest.

The only thing that "bothers" me about names is when parents name their child a stupid name such as: Moon Unit, Sage Youngblood, Audio Science, Moxie Crimefighter, etc. I just think to myself, "God, that poor kid has to grow up with such a ridiculous name"....(unless of course they go and change it when they're old enough to do so).

EllyDicious

made of AMBIGUITY
V.I.P.
Masculine names on girls are very interesting.
I had an English teacher whose name was Orges [pronounced Orghes]. Before seeing her I thought it was a male English teacher lol...

I doesn't make the girls less feminine just because of the name.