• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

question about english

MaaB

Registered Member
Hello guys;
i have a question on english :D
What the difference between the following words:
1. Anemia - anaemia.
2. Special - especial.
3. Immunocompromised - immunocompetent - immunodeficient.
4. Swine - pig.

BigBob

Registered Member
I'm pretty sure they mean exactly the same thing. The difference is the way some of them are spelled or different words, swine - pig, in different parts of the world.

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
Hey MaaB.

1. I believe these are just two different spellings of the word, but hopefully someone else can provide further clarification.

2. especial is 'special' in Spanish instead of English.

3. I kind of understand this one, but I'd like to wait for someone more understanding of medical terminology to comment.

4. A Swine is basically another word for a Pig or another animal in its family such as a Boar.

I hope that this helps! Are you taking a class to learn English?

MaaB

Registered Member
[email protected]
Thank you very much :)

[email protected]
Thank you very much, it is really helpful.
I am a medical student, and i noticed that in the same book they write them, i want also to improve my english.

BigBob

Registered Member
[email protected]
Thank you very much :)

[email protected]
Thank you very much, it is really helpful.
I am a medical student, and i noticed that in the same book they write them, i want also to improve my english.
Well since you're more or less trying to improve your English, I guess I'll explain what I meant a little more as Unity did.

1. Usually the "american" English version of words are the ones that don't have extra letters thrown in. Anemia would be "American" English and Anaemia is the.. I guess you could say "British" English version.

2. As Unity said, special and especial is just the English and Spanish version of the words so unless you're in a foreign language class, always use special.

3. Immunocompetent and immunodeficient/compromised are actually opposites.

Immunocompetent is actually the ability to build some kind of defense against some kind of "virus" and immunodeficient/compromised is the inability to build that defense.

I wanted to look this one of for you and from my understanding, that's the different between those.

4. Swine is the more technical term of pig.

Dekzper

Registered Member
1. Anemia - anaemia.
- It's just 2 ways to spell the same word. The "ae" in "anaemia" is supposed to be the Latin dipthong " which is usually replaced with "ae", "a", or "e".
Archaeology is another word that uses that dipthong.

2. Special - especial.
- Especial is an Anglo-French word. Special is used for objects. Especial means the same thing but it used for people. It's used that way in America.

3. Immunocompromised - immunocompetent - immunodeficient.
- I have a relative who is a doctor. Immunocompromised means that not all of the immune system works. This is usually caused by disease or age. Immunodeficient means that there is no working immune system or some of it is missing. This is usually inherited from the parents.
Immunocompetent means the whole immune system is working.

4. Swine - pig.
- Just 2 words for the same thing. Pig is what the animal is called. Swine or pigs is used to mean more than one animal.
I think BigBob has the right idea about those words. Swine is more technical.

Last edited:

MaaB

Registered Member
Big [email protected]
Thank you very much :D
tumor-tumour: is it also american and british English?

Dabs

Registered Member
Big [email protected]
Thank you very much :D
tumor-tumour: is it also american and british English?
They are the same. Some parts of the world feel the need to add the extra "U" :lol:

For instance: Favorite- Favourite....Humor-Humour.