Question about BMI

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by Millz, Feb 11, 2009.

1. Millz

Millz Lance Catamaran Staff Member V.I.P.

Should I take what the internet says my BMI is or not? Aren't there other factors that should be considered because my height, weight and gender?

This thing is trying to tell me I'm overweight. I'm 5'7", 165 pounds.

BMI is 25.8.

How is that overweight?

2. PretzelCorps

PretzelCorps Registered Member

I'm 5'7'', 170 - 175 pounds --> Internet BMIs tell me I'm apparently "dangerously overweight" all the time. :lol:

Ignore it --> Unless you're fat and not telling, you're probably rather muscular, and that throws impersonal BMI tests.

3. Millz

Okay I'm glad I'm not the only one haha. If I was 5'9" I'd be fine but since I'm two inches shorter I'm overweight...

I was just making sure because I've heard about BMI before but I wasnt sure what it all entailed.

4. Stab-o-Matic5000

Stab-o-Matic5000 Cutting Edge in Murder

You have to take your BMI with a grain of salt. For instance, you could just be incredibly muscular and a BMI would tell you you're a fatty.

25.8 is just barely in the overweight category anyhow. So what if you've got a bit of a gut.

Funny thing is, I weigh 4 more pounds then you, but my BMI is 20.6. Then again, I am 9 inches taller.

5. ysabel

ysabel /ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5

This article might interest you. Basically it says that BMI is not an accurate indicator of body fat. They made a new research about this a couple of years ago.

6. AnitaKnapp

AnitaKnapp It's not me, it's you. V.I.P. Lifetime

As many have said, BMI index isn't really all that accurate for most people. I would suggest getting a body fat caliper if you really wanted to know accuracy.

Accu-Measure Body Fat Calipers

They also have electronic ones, but those are a bit expensive.

7. Millz

thats good info...thanks.

i mostly did it outta curiosity...im not that concerned with it.

8. oeran

oeran Registered Member

According to BMI, I'm over 70 pounds overweight, but when I tell people that, they simply look at me and go, "Where is it all?" BMI started off as a vague measurement, in the same sense that "It's a stone's throw away" is, a way to measure people according to the averages of the people that they measured. It somehow got incredibly popular and people started taking it as the gospel truth in weight determination.

I go by waist-hip ratios, as I don't have a caliper. According to that, I'm just a little bit overweight.

9. Major

Major 4 legs good 2 legs bad V.I.P.

BMI is retarded. All it takes into account are your height and weight, not body fat % or anything else. Basically Shaq is morbidly obese according to the BMI.

10. Stab-o-Matic5000

Stab-o-Matic5000 Cutting Edge in Murder

Besides, the name Body Mass Index should say it all. It's not a measurement of how fat you are, it's a measurement of how, you know, massive your body is based on your height. A guy who's short but stocky and well muscled would probably be in the high 20's range on the BMI, while a 6'8" guy who's packing a few pounds on, but has a thin frame would probably be in the low 20's.