• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Queen Elizabeth II's Diamond Jubilee

wooly

I am the woolrus
Meant to start a thread on this much earlier but haven't been online at all, because i was over in London at the jubilee!!

Did anybody else on GF enjoy these celebrations? Watch the flotilla/concert? Maybe join in a community street party?

I brought some friends over from Ireland to attend the celebrations and we all had the most awesome time. The flotilla was great (even though i got soaked to the skin, the atmosphere was fantastic), and the concert was absolutely amazeballs. We went to Hyde Park to watch it on the big screens for free, but it felt just like being there at times. Charles' speech at the end of the concert was the highlight of the whole jubilee for me, incredibly touching.

The only thing i was sorry i didn't join in with were any street parties or "big lunches", mainly because these were pretty much community things and we were just over staying in a B&B. They looked like a lot of fun though.

So anybody else enjoy the long weekend?

Nevyrmoore

AKA Ass-Bandit
I did sod all for the Jubilee. Didn't watch the televised thingy, didn't go to parties, and so on. This could be due to the fact that I don't really care about anything to do with the royal family, and that the Diamond Jubilee means nothing to me.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I didn't watch it, really didn't care anything about it but I'm sure if I lived in England I would of. I thought it was a shame that her husband was sick and couldn't attend the celebrations with her.

Falconer

Registered Member
I didn't do much for the Jubilee. I'm not anti-royal or anything, I'm actually vaguely fond of the Queen, I guess, though I could do without Charles, but I guess I just didn't catch the fever. I didn't even watch it televised, so I can't even comment on the BBC coverage backlash -- damn! :p

oxyMORON

A Darker Knight
I only saw the Daily Show segment on it.

"oh my god, the boat just turned around!"

Judging from that segment, it seemed really boring, but it's good to hear that people actually had fun.

wooly

I am the woolrus
Haha, that segment was pretty hilarious!! Especially the awful fireworks bit.

Well the concert was definitely the highlight. The ones who got to go see it at Buckingham Palace are the lucky ones, but still getting a free "concert" in Hyde Park with Paul McCartney, Elton John, Tom Jones, Stevie Wonder, Annie Lennox, Madness, and a whole host of other acts was pretty damn sweet! It was a great show. And it had some PROPER fireworks at the end! :p

Though one of highlights for me was seeing the absolute legend that is Rolf Harris perform an impromptu "Two Little Boys"... until the ever awful Lenny Henry cut him off.