• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Quebec Law would make criticism of Islam hate speech

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
While the rest of Canada is being force-fed the Duffy Senate "scandal," in Quebec a proposed law that will label any criticism of Islam or Islamism as "hate speech" is being quietly pushed through the National Assembly.
http://www.meforum.org/5453/canada-bill-59

I think this would be a big mistake. How would you ever criticize or complain about any radical group without fear of being prosecuted. Unless this is to just keep you from criticizing Islam, fire away at the Christians. I don't know, seems like a slippery slope to me.

I'm happy to say not all Muslims are for this. The author of the article is Muslim and he is against it.

Thoughts?

Rapier

V.I.P.
There are organizations in the US that author legislation at local, state and federal levels. Out of seemingly nowhere the entire country has the same legislation getting quietly voted into law. Who in the world networks that efficiently? I'll give you 2 guesses.

Just research the origin of the legislation.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I tried to find the origin but couldn't.

Some Muslims think the bill is aimed at them. The bill seems too restrictive to me and if its as vaguely written as they claim it could be interpreted broadly. Would like to hear what our Canadian members think about it. I know sometimes our government tries to push through stupid crap even though they know its going to fail.

http://www.wsws.org/en/articles/2015/08/08/queb-a08.html

http://www.nationalmagazine.ca/Blog/June-2015/The-harm-in-Quebec-s-hate-speech-bill.aspx

Smelnick

Creeping On You
V.I.P.
Nobody takes Quebec seriously. They try to push all kinds of shit through parliament. They tried to seperate from Canada for years haha. They tried to make speaking English in Quebec not be allowed, and whereas the rest of canada has english with french underneath, they just have french and no english in lots of places. They're almost a little xenophobic.

Rapier

V.I.P.
To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize. -Voltaire

EdgeHead

Registered Member
Nobody takes Quebec seriously. They try to push all kinds of shit through parliament. They tried to seperate from Canada for years haha. They tried to make speaking English in Quebec not be allowed, and whereas the rest of canada has english with french underneath, they just have french and no english in lots of places. They're almost a little xenophobic.
As a Quebecer myself, I'm always feeling uncomfortable when that kinda stuff pop up on boards and stuff like that. I hate for people to generalize that all Quebecers are separatists since that's not true. I'm dead set against separatism as I always felt it won't solve any problem and that there are far more important things to settle in our province before even thinking of being an independent country. I do have friends who are separatists and while they're very reasonable people, most of separatists come across, as you said, a little xenophobic against English Canadians. They are the reason why we have such a bad rep around the country. I remember that there was a time when it was ill-advised for us to travel in the country and telling people that you're from Quebec, let alone carrying a Quebec flag with you.

Smelnick

Creeping On You
V.I.P.
No worries, I do know that not EVERYONE in Quebec is like that. I'm just going on what I see in the media. I live in Winnipeg, so I experience that xenophobic attitude from some people in the francophone part of town. They can be snobbish and what not. Very critical of anyone who does things differently than they do.

Frankly its understandable though. It probably dates back to the days of the french vs english fights that happened a ton during the early day of Canada.

The_Chameleon

Grandmaster
So much for freedom of speech. Which f~cking Liberal a$$holes are pushing this bullsh~t through? Criticizing Islam is one of my favorite pastimes. Now I can get arrested for it? Hate speech? Really? I hope the f~cktards who are pushing this crap through fall into a six story sinkhole. Unless they're Muslim of course, I wouldn't want to be arrested for spewing hate speech. Of course it makes sense this garbage would be coming out of Quebec. I'm surprised the law isn't applicable only to Francophone Muslims.

- Cham

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
Texas was wanting to succeed not long ago and I doubt all Texans wanted that. I'm sure its the same way in Quebec. What happens here is you get a few loud mouths ranting about it so much you think everyone is for it.

Same way with amnesty for the illegals. People wanting it seem to talk louder than people that don't so you would think everyone was for it. Now the people that are against it are making their voices heard and those for it can't stand someone having a different opinion than them.

Moral of this story if you are against something don't sit on the sidelines or it may become law.