Putting away the whistle late in games

Discussion in 'Sports' started by Millz, Apr 29, 2009.

1. Millz

Millz LGB Staff Member V.I.P.

This goes back to the Rondo non-flagrant foul call at the end of overtime in the Boston/Chicago game.

I am stealing this topic from MIke and Mike in the Morning...

Do you think the refs should officiate playoff games differently at the end of games and in overtimes then they do at the beginning and middle? Do you believe in letting them play and putting the whistles away?

Or do you think consistency is key?

CaptainObvious likes this.

2. CaptainObvious

CaptainObvious Son of Liberty V.I.P.

And this was just the point I was making in your other thread. I heard that on Mike and Mike and I've always agreed with that, a foul is a foul is a foul, no matter when it happens. Consistency for me is the key. If you're going to call a pitch on the outside corner a ball in the first inning, call it a ball in the ninth as well.

Millz likes this.
  3. icegoat63

icegoat63 Son of Liberty V.I.P. Lifetime

I think it should largely be based on the Refs Personality. Honestly I know that in the NHL there are certain Linesman and Officials that I'll see and think "Damn that guy calls a tight game". But then there are the others that dont so much. Well it used to be like that, probably not so much anymore.

But I liked it back in the day when that was largely how it was done. Certain officials would let the players go and others would be over doing it, calling everything. I'm not a fan of the game being constantly slowed by officiating, I'd rather see the game flow on its own with minimal Referee interaction. So to me, In the last 5 minutes all I feel a Ref should have to do is drop the damn puck and call a goal when needed. Theres nothing more idiotic to me than seeing a 2 minute penalty given when theres 30 seconds left.

This is why I say I liked it when the Refs were allowed their own personality... I'd know that some would call the game consistent all the way through and would make those irritating calls at the end.... and then there was the other refs that would call a fair game, but didnt interfere with the flow of play. Thats the way I preferred it personally. I'd rather suffer with the "well that shoulda been a penalty, but we got away with some other stuff to at the end" than... "F*CK! We lost because of sketchy elbowing call with a minute -20 seconds left".

Millz likes this.
  4. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

Personally I've always been a believer that they should let them play in the playoffs. There's a lot of bad calls in the regular season that cost team games. The playoffs are way more important then the regular season, if you have referees that blow the whistle every minute of the game, it gets boring and ruins the game.

Please let these guys play.

icegoat63 likes this.
  5. Millz

I agree you need to let them play on occasion but I do not believe in changing your call pattern at the end of the game just because its the playoffs. OR, changing it from beginning to end because its a playoff game.

Sure, they mean more, I get that. That doesn't mean you should call the game differently, however.

6. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

Yeah but let use a hockey penalty for an example. If a player slashes another player on the glove, but he barely touches him, the refferee would call that in the regular season, but he cannot call that in the playoffs, you got to let these guys play. It would be a bad call in the regular season it would be even a worse call in the playoffs. Especially if the game is tied, and there's two minutes left.

7. Millz

I can agree with that example. Ticky tack calls shouldnt be called but if there's a high stick you need to call it. Like Rondo last night...that was a flagrant foul and should have been called one. Just because it was a playoff game shouldnt change anything.

8. Major

Major 4 legs good 2 legs bad V.I.P.

Officiating should be consistent no matter what. Rules are rules. Enforce them the same at the end of the game as you would at the beginning. I agree with the "let them play" mentality, so I'd like to see less ticky tack shit being called (fouls in basketball, and pass interference type stuff in football). But why should the playoffs be officiated differently than the regular season? It should be the same throughout the season.

9. greyham_G

greyham_G Registered Member

I agree that late in the game a stupid slash or something should be ignored. If it is something that is too sever to go uncalled then yes, call it, you can't have no rules whatsoever or else players would take extreme advantage of that, but the smaller things, let them go.