• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Purchasing a Used iPhone

IrishLass2247

Registered Member
My friend recently purchased a used iPhone 6S and is having a hard time registering it. The person he bought it from did a factory reset, but somehow it is still linked to his iCloud and Apple ID. How can he unlink the phone so he can register a new Apple ID? He has never used an iPhone before so any help or suggestions you can give, I will gladly pass along to help him.

Interis

Registered Member
The lock is dependent on the account and therefore can't be unlinked by anyone else but the account owner. If you still have the number of the previous owner, give him a call and maybe he can remove it via iTunes.

You can also go for the not-so-legal method. I know there are services offered to completely wipe the iPhone content or even jailbreak it.

IrishLass2247

Registered Member
The lock is dependent on the account and therefore can't be unlinked by anyone else but the account owner. If you still have the number of the previous owner, give him a call and maybe he can remove it via iTunes.

You can also go for the not-so-legal method. I know there are services offered to completely wipe the iPhone content or even jailbreak it.
He is still in touch with the previous owner, so that might be an option. I was hoping it wouldn't be that complicated, though. This is one more reason I personally don't care for Apple. It seems like there isn't anything easy about their products.

This isn't something contacting Verizon (our carrier and the previous owner's carrier) could help with?

Pepper

Registered Member
I had the same problem in the past, but it was with an iPad. I had to track the previous owner and ask her to unlink her ID. I think it's the only way.

Interis

Registered Member
He is still in touch with the previous owner, so that might be an option. I was hoping it wouldn't be that complicated, though. This is one more reason I personally don't care for Apple. It seems like there isn't anything easy about their products.

This isn't something contacting Verizon (our carrier and the previous owner's carrier) could help with?
I don't think so. The account is specific to Apple users only anyway, they wouldn't bother. I agree that it's complicated, but that's what safety is about. A good lesson to always clean and check our devices, especially the second ones.