• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Punch Brothers

dDave

V.I.P.
Has anybody heard this group before?

They're sort of a recent discovery I made. I've definitely heard them before but I never really looked into them.

The main reason why I looked into them is because their lead singer and mandolin player (yes, mandolin :)) is just plain amazing and puts tons of impressive classical music on youtube using only the mandolin.

Punch Brothers - This Girl (HQ) - YouTube

They almost remind me on Mumford & Sons, they have a more full sound in my opinion though. Still, there's something about them. I honestly thought they were British at first.

Thoughts on this group?

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I've never heard of them before, they were pretty good, really liked the mandolin and the lead singer does have talent.

I would like to hear the classical music using just the mandolin.

dDave

V.I.P.
Since you asked... Here's a 15 minute Bach piece that was done in one take.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3lH_Tevw5o

Simply sensational. You have to remember that he's doing this whole thing from memory and he's playing it on a mandolin. I can really appreciate someone putting in such dedication with an obscure instrument such as this. Most people that put in major time with an instrument do things a bit more standard like guitar, piano, etc.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
Considering he was doing it from memory I am impressed. He looked like he was really getting into it.

A mandolin has such a unique sound.

Thanks for posting this.

dDave

V.I.P.
He apparently takes Bach really seriously :lol:.

I was immensely impressed that he's able to do it all in one take as well. Now, I'm not sure if he made any mistakes in there, I don't know Bach well enough to be able to hear mistakes when someone is playing it.

I think Chris Thile might be one of the best mandolin players alive. I've looked up a lot of other people and nobody else seems to be on par with him.