Pullups vs. Pushups

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by Mirage, May 14, 2007.

1. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

Which do you prefer doing?

I'm a pullups type of guy. Pushups are easier but I don't ever really feel like they are doing anything for me unless I do 100+ or so.

I try to alternate anyway but pullups are definitely more fun. ;)

2. Major

Major 4 legs good 2 legs bad V.I.P.

I've always preferred doing pullups and chinups over pushups, but they're all good for you.

3. pantherace

pantherace Registered Member

I prefer pullups as well, but since all I have to do that with is thin door frames I tend to do a lot more pushups.

4. mraph33

mraph33 New Member

If you're really trying to develop yourself, you got to do both - since they work on completely seperate muscles. And pushups are always going to be easier because you are doing them with less weight.

5. QuietLunatic

QuietLunatic New Member

They work different muscle groups, so unless you want to be lopsided and strong in only one direction, do a variety of exercises to strengthen ALL your muscles, not just some.

6. Van

Van Heavy Weapons Guy V.I.P.

Pullups and pushups are both beneficial in their own way. If you really want to develope your muscles you've got do all kinds of excercises

7. dDave

dDave Guardian of the Light V.I.P.

If you want your muscles to be developed equally throughout your entire body, then you have to do crunches, running, lifting, pushups, pullups, squatting, and a whole lot more. I have found that jumproping has improved my speed a lot.

8. Freedom

Freedom New Member

I do both. 10 push-ups between breaks (rounds 1-5) when I'm training, then 50 at the end of the session. Pull-ups are worked into my lifting routine and I go back and forth between close and wide grip.

I prefer pull-ups, but they both have a place in my training. The effectiveness of either one in a routine really depends on the goals of the individual.

9. Teorropy

Teorropy Registered User

I did both when I could, I preferred pushups, just because I like them better.

10. Hi_Im_Tim

Hi_Im_Tim I am Heavy Weapons Guy

I do both, but i like pull-ups better. I like doing pull-ups with a very wide grip, that is pretty hard. Also triangle push-ups are definitely very helpful for your triceps.