Public Speaking

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Fairly easy question here, are you afraid to speak in public. For example, when you were in school, were you nurvous when you had to do a oral presentation?

I was really nurvous, I couldn't stand speaking alone in front of 30 people, I always seem to screw up as well when I did. I'm not as bad as I was when in High School, but I still get a little nurvous when I speak infront of a crowd by myself.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
I was always really nervous when I had to do presentations in school, but then you do it and you realize it's not a big deal at all.

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
In school, I hated public speaking. I didn't like declamation presentations or anything that requires me to be alone before the public. In college, I took COM 3 classes in the last semester of my senior year (normally you take it on your sophomore year, 1st semester) because it's basically about public speaking.

Ironically, when I started working my job required me not only to have 1:1 meetings/consultations but also to train people. I got the hang of speaking before classes giving lectures, several times a day. I even trained people to do public presentations. Who'd have thought? :lol:

AeonFlux

I am the edge!
I dreaded public speaking. It seemed like my worst nightmare was coming true when I had to take a Capstone Seminar course in order to earn my degree at the university. I had to give a 45 minute presentation on a topic in my field, and it was a pass or fail course based only on this one moment. Surprisingly, even with this being the most weighted and high pressure presentation ever, once I got up there I had no more fear...complete calm. I've never had to do public speaking since then, but I'm pretty sure now that I can handle it.

Kazmarov

For a Free Scotland
I hated public speaking up until high school. I went to two intensive summer programs that had a debate component (an aggressive speech in front of twentyish people), and I pretty much don't fear public speaking anymore.

I hope to give a chapel talk sometime this year (350 people). If you're confident in your material, there really isn't anything to fear.

Oooh_snap

Living on the 0th floor
V.I.P.
I hate public speaking.. I always hated it in school because it really had nothing to do with anything I would ever be doing with my life.

Fairly easy question here, are you afraid to speak in public. For example, when you were in school, were you nurvous when you had to do a oral presentation?
Yes.

Even when I've got my words prepared I still can't stand having X number of people stare at me. Of courser if I have to make repeated presentations I'll get used to it.

padd

Registered Member
Public speaking in front of your classroom? I don't see what there is to be nervous about, you are in front of class mates, you speak to them every day.. what do you have to be nervous about?

dDave

Guardian of the Light
V.I.P.
I was always really nervous when I had to do presentations in school, but then you do it and you realize it's not a big deal at all.
And then you get nervous the next time all over again, it happens to me so many times.

In Elememtary school I had to memorize speeches and present them to the class it was terrible I get so scared when I have to talk in front of a lot of people.