• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

PSP PSP Go

Davdud101

So, I've been checkin' out this new PSP Go, (Google it), and what I believe it has a few good and bad sides. Here are mine:

Pros: Lighter Weight, less hardware, No need to carry UMD's everywhere.

Cons: The screen is definetly smaller than a PSP 3000, and having to buy all games online means you can't sell or trade them in (at GameStop, EB Games, etc.). The last main problem is less hardware for a higher price.

Overall, possibly 6-8.5/10 is probably the best way to put it.
Tell me what you think!

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
The style is nicer, but I have to question how truly retarded Sony is.

STILL they have refused to add dual analog sticks. If they added dual analog sticks and dropped its price by 50, I would definitely pick one up.

Mihael_langley

Formerly "Maikeru"
The style is nicer, but I have to question how truly retarded Sony is.

STILL they have refused to add dual analog sticks. If they added dual analog sticks and dropped its price by 50, I would definitely pick one up.

They are talking about releasing an extra analog for it, where will they place it i have no idea.

Plus the psp2 is likely to have 2 analogs as we have seen before E3.

I think the model looks good, the screen is slightly smaller but nothing worth crying about, the fact that its aimed at going fully digital is taken as a step towards the future of destribution, nailing the shares of retailers like gamestop (UMD was a shame really)

As a personal note:

Very expensive for what it is, i believe that no handheld should be more than 150, specially since the best games that will come for the Go are also going to be on the ps3, and i prefer to play serious, extensive games like GT5 and Metal gear on a console.

Davdud101

I think the model looks good, the screen is slightly smaller but nothing worth crying about, the fact that its aimed at going fully digital is taken as a step towards the future of destribution, nailing the shares of retailers like gamestop (UMD was a shame really)
Man, Maikeru, you're kidding. Ok, I'll credit that the screen size isn't much smaller, but no they're basically splitting PSP game sales/profits between the PSP store and the retailers, cutting down to the need for only half the games in store. I think it's a kind of bad idea.

Mihael_langley

Formerly "Maikeru"
Its only a first step... If the consumers go for it i don't see why sony shouldn't stop destributing at retail stores at all:

-Digital content is much cheaper for them
-Its a huge help against piracy (just look at Steam)
-The umd drive has very expensive production costs
-The practicality of not having to carrie Discs around

Retailers have already complained about this plan to Sony, but this train has been set in motion, not only for the Go but for future consoles and handhelds.

Stores like Gamestop take a huge slice of game profits with hardware re-sales, and i think that was what tipped not only sony but publishers inclusive to clame that share for themselfs

Last edited:

Nevyrmoore

AKA Ass-Bandit
The main issue I have with digital distribution is...well, I've covered it already, so I'll just link to it.

http://www.generalforum.com/general-gaming/downloadable-games-debate-thereof-39420.html#post383649

I don't see exactly how pure digital distribution will help against piracy. Time and time again, the release groups have shown that they have the ability to adapt to changes in technology. If they can't make a pirated release of the disk, they'll just bring out a pirated release of the download.

WesJones87

RayzorBlade87
The link in Storms post makes perfect sense. If you haven't read it yet, read it. No physical games is a step down from even first-gen consoles. Not only that, there is a space issue as well.

Mihael_langley

Formerly "Maikeru"
Well although i agree, piracy will always be a problem, regardless of the medium we use...

But if you take a look at the PC gaming, which its probably the "platform" that looses more to piracy but companies like Steam do make a difference, Serials for each single game, connected directly to your online account is very efficient.

The PSN system also works well, Games downloaded only work for 1 specific account.

Edit:

Obviusly there are some downsides, i prefer to have the game case with me...as you refered the disc space is also an issue. ~

But for me, as a consumer, i see it with good eyes overall (i haven't read the article, i will once i get home though)

Last edited:

Nevyrmoore

AKA Ass-Bandit
But if you take a look at the PC gaming, which its probably the "platform" that looses more to piracy but companies like Steam do make a difference, Serials for each single game, connected directly to your online account is very efficient.
Steam is okay, but I've managed to get hold of pirated games that work on the Steam network. You can't fully use them online, of course, but the Steam software is fooled into thinking what you've just installed is, in fact, a legit copy.

The PSN system also works well, Games downloaded only work for 1 specific account.
This I can't comment on, having very little experience with both the PSP and the PS3, and no experience at all with the PSN.

Mihael_langley

Formerly "Maikeru"
Eventually people will find ways to crack it, but i believe it would be a small percentage in comparison to what is happening now.