• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

PlayStation 3 PSN compromise of information

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
So aside from the bummer that PSN is still down, for reasons stated in the other thread, an update says that our personal info could be compromised too.

For example, credit card data for PSN and Qriocity users may have been exposed.

Here's what Sony UK indicates was exposed:
Name
Shipping address
Billing address
Country
E-mail address
Birthdate
PSN/Qriocity ID
PSN/Qriocity password
PSN/Qriocity security question and answer
Purchase history

Sony provides PSN update, confirms a 'compromise of personal information' (updated) -- Engadget

I'm trying to recall if I had CC info stored there or similar passwords used in that account with my other account. :hmm: Users are advised to change pw and also not to respond to possible scams calls or emails pretending to be from Sony at this point.

Mihael_langley

Formerly "Maikeru"
Well we cant change passwords if we cant login to the system, now can we =p

I didnt have my CC information there at the time, as i started using a Temporary one time only card.

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
I thought of your CC haha. Well they said if you had similar pw in other accounts or emails you've used for psn, then you can change that now. I somehow doubt that people who get hold of those information are just eager to use it to hack your psn account once it gets online (altho yea, u might want to change psn pw too after). I felt it was more to search for other more profitable places where your info and pw could match, especially if you're the type to use similar or same pw for several online accounts.

Iris

rainbow 11!
Man, I was thinking of getting a PS3. I don't think I will, now.

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
Well, not now for sure. Get it when they're back. :lol:

Perhaps when they've restored the system they'd have found the loophole that made the attack possible....better security.

Mihael_langley

Formerly "Maikeru"
Mass hysteria proves effective against the less informed.

If you think your information is safe in any other cloud system...

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.

You shouldn't let this turn you off, if you do then it's letting those immature wankers who did this in the first place win. It may take a while but Sony will recover from this and get back to normal. We don't even know if this information being leaked is 100% true or not, it's all speculation now. Don't let the hackers win!

Konshentz

Konshentz
Get one, I'll get a 360... and we'll play together! :)

But yeah, don't let this bullshit cause you not to get an awesome system with some awesome exclusives.

Vincent_Valentine

Studley-Do-Right
The article I saw said that they had no evidence that credit card info was taken, but they were just saying it MAY have been compromised to give customers a heads up. The main thing that gets to me about this is that the "intrusion" happened almost a week ago and it took this long for them to tell us that they may have gotten the info. I agree with Tycho over at Penny Arcade when he said that Sony really needs to figure out how to communicate with people, cause they seem to suck at that horribly.

Penny Arcade - It Only Doesn't

Mihael_langley

Formerly "Maikeru"
This also happened with xbox Live back in 2007, today no one remembers a thing, lol.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Twitch Video Games 6
Konshentz Video Games 3
dDave Video Games 3
Babe_Ruth Video Games 117
Konshentz Video Games 23