• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

PlayStation 3 PS3 price was worth it after all

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
Well now that Blu-Ray has officially beat out HD-DVD (Toshiba officially dropped out of the next gen format race last week), it seems that the PS3's price tag was worth it for Sony.

They were losing money on every console sold, but now they have won the format war and will probably sell a lot more PS3's now. Given the fact that it plays Blu-Ray movies, I bet a lot of people will buy it for the double convenience. A very good next gen console combined with the next gen movie playing abilities.

I bought my PS2 because it played DVD's and I don't see why I would spend $100 less on a standalone Blu-Ray player when for $100 more I can have a PS3, which I want anyway for Gran Turismo 5.

I want one for sure now and I'd buy it over the XBOX 360.

Iris

rainbow 11!
I'd buy it if I had the money. Which I don't.

What I don't like it that what am I going to do with the DVDs I have now? Will Blu-Ray support them? I don't have the money to buy the same ones I have now in blu-ray.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
If you want a Blu-Ray player and like the PS3 games, than sure, it's worth it. If you just want the Blu-Ray player, it's not worth it. If you're a gamer and there's only a game or two that you want on PS3, then it's probably not worth it.

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
Blu-Ray will play DVD's too, but they won't be Blu-Ray quality. I only plan to get a few of my favorite movies again on Blu-Ray. I'd definitely like to see Lord of the Rings in true high definition.

Malificus

Likes snow
I still don't regret getting a 360.

It's entirely doable that Microsoft could do what they did with the HDDVD player, just with blu-ray, despite what they said here.

Iris

rainbow 11!
Blu-Ray will play DVD's too, but they won't be Blu-Ray quality. I only plan to get a few of my favorite movies again on Blu-Ray. I'd definitely like to see Lord of the Rings in true high definition.
That is.... Awesome. Looks like I'm saving up for a PS3 now.

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
I still don't regret getting a 360.

It's entirely doable that Microsoft could do what they did with the HDDVD player, just with blu-ray, despite what they said here.
I think Sony would have to sell them the rights to use the Blu-Ray technology though since I'm sure they own some sort of patent or royalty on it. However that ends up working out.

I think it would be in Sony's best interest to let Microsoft use Blu-Ray technology because it only means more money in Sony's pocket. Not allowing the XBOX 360 to have a Blu-Ray addon would not necessarily mean more PS3's would sell. It just means less XBOX 360 Blu-Ray external drives would sell. In fact none. ;)

Malificus

Likes snow
I think Sony would have to sell them the rights to use the Blu-Ray technology though since I'm sure they own some sort of patent or royalty on it. However that ends up working out.
What other way would they get it, theft?

Last edited:

Nevyrmoore

AKA Ass-Bandit
Works for the F1 companies!

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
I don't see a reason to buy a PS3 yet.

I don't regret buying a 360, I bought it for the games not the media capabilities. PS3 has next to nothing in terms of good, exclusive titles and that's the most important to me right now. Blu-Rays will be just like DVDs eventually. I'd rather wait a few years to get a reasonably priced next-gen movie and have a system with great games.