• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

PlayStation 3 PS3 is broke...probably

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
I looked it up on the internet and it appears I am victim of the dreaded yellow light of doom

My PS3 turns green for a second and sounds like its powering on, then it goes to a yellow light, and then red, and then shuts off completely.

So I am just fucked, right? haha

dDave

V.I.P.
Yeah. That's the yellow light of death problem. There are some beeps in there as well, right?

The problem with the yellow light is that it simply means hardware failure. Imagine getting a blue screen of death on your computer and it didn't throw an error code at you. Not very helpful, right? Sort of the same situation here.

Basically, your PS3 is going to need to be repaired by SONY or you're going to need to just get another one if you want to continue playing PS3 games.

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
Yeah.

And it puts me at a crossroads. I really don't want to buy a PS4 if I can't play my PS3 games on it. I like going back and playing the old games. Hell, I probably played my PS1 games as much as my PS3 games haha

dDave

V.I.P.
Can I fix the Yellow Light Of Doom? (PS3)? - Yahoo Answers

The user called Sharoz K may be on to something there. I think it's worth a shot. If your PS3 really is broken then there's really not much you can mess up by trying it anyway.

First try this if it does not work try doing my way of fixing it

DONT HAVE TO DO THIS (STEP 1) BUT IT MAY WORK if the next one does not work try this

This is what the PlayStation Forum says:
1. Turn off Playstation®3.
2. Hold the power button down; the system will turn on and turn off once again.
3. Once the System has been shutdown, re-press you finger until you hear 2 consecutive beeps
4. When you hear the 2 beeps take finger off power button.
5. You will be prompted to plug in your controller via USB and then hit the PS button
6. The Recovery menu will pop up.

The current Recovery Menu supports:
• Restart System: Restarts the PLAYSTATION®3 System.
• Restore Default Settings: Reset all system settings back to default.
• Restore File System: Checks for corrupt/missing system files.
• Rebuild Database: Rebuilds the OS for the PLAYSTATION®3.
• Restore PS3 System: Fresh restore; Deletes everything and starts from Scratch.
• System Update: Update the PLAYSTATION®3 System

MY WAY

STEP 2
Sign in

Update your PS3 (in the settings menu the 1st option)

go on the internet browser on the PS3 then go on the menu press triangle then on one of them there are delete cookies and the delete the others as well as cookies

check the disc if it has fingerprints or scratches if it does then thats your problem

if you have the 60GB sos mate they have alot of problems

or maybe try this put the PS3 on then press the eject button (with no disc in) then hold it then switch the PS3 off at the back with your finger on the eject button still holding it then put it back on then the fan test should be working this may cool it down

it may be overheating
if this problem still continues go out and buy a inter cooler from a shop

if it STILL CARRIES ON phone up sony

Konshentz

Konshentz
Yeah.

And it puts me at a crossroads. I really don't want to buy a PS4 if I can't play my PS3 games on it. I like going back and playing the old games. Hell, I probably played my PS1 games as much as my PS3 games haha
You'll be able to play PS1, PS2 and PS3 games on your PS4 at some point in the near-ish future.

But if you don't want to wait, then I agree with Dave. You can't fuck it up anymore than it already is. Haha.

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
I do think that its maybe something my Dad could fix based off some things I've read here and there but it might be better to wait for the PS4 if what Kons said is correct

The one thing that sucks is all the games I played that I have saved. That and my NHL14 is stuck in it right now haha

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
You can probably get it repaired to be honest. Look up some repair shops around you, you may find a place that fixes up game consoles. I would research it.