• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

PS3 gamers appreciate art more than Xbox 360, Wii users

Ziggy

Sup?
Well I have both but I bought the 360 first.

I don't think there is a clear distinction in Australia. Although I think the majority of people living on the East Coast, where the majority of the population is, try to emulate American life.

I just had a look around and there isn't any up to date statistics that I can find but 1 Million 360s have been sold in Australia as of April 2010.

The only thing I could find for PS3 is that as of February 2011 they had sold 1.1 Million consoles.

That is from a very quick and lazy search though I could probably find better statistics if I searched hard enough.

dDave

V.I.P.
Nice response Dave, I like how you said the PS3 has a 'Pixar' feel to it.

I hardly ever play multiplayer games on the PS3. I tried out the multiplayer on a couple of games every now and then after I finished the campaign, but I would often go back and play the single-player campaign again rather than keep playing the multiplayer.

The only time I really play multiplayer games is on PC, via Steam etc. I think PC is also considered really social gaming now. As much as the 360 etc. I think many PC gamers like to play online with friends, especially in the advancements of MMORPG's and how popular shooters are on PC.
Yeah for sure. I'm not really sure how to explain it but Pixar films just have that certain atmosphere about them. I find that a few PS3 titles (especially Little Big Planet) seem to pretty well capture that atmosphere. It also helps that the visuals and audio are similar.

Yes, I agree there. Multiplayer games work best on PC. The only online multiplayer that I ever play is Counterstrike Source and Team Fortress 2. I never got into the XBOX Live or playstation network thing. I think that Steam is one of the best things to ever happen to the gaming industry.

KSpiceFantastic

Haters gonna hate.
Well, Microsoft itself is not big at all in Japan, so logically the lack of huge sales of the 360 makes sense.

And Ziggy, I echo your sentiment about "art" being genre-based. I do think that certain fans of certain genres are less capable of understanding "art" in video games. People that think Call of Duty is the best game ever are missing out on the art that is the Mass Effect trilogy, for example. That argument is logical.

Ziggy

Sup?
Modern warfare had moments that were incredibly stunning and I think it gets a bad rep because of it's brogamer base.

KSpiceFantastic

Haters gonna hate.
Stunning in a Michael Bay sort of way, which is just tons of explosions all over the place, and those moments are tied together by a weak story.

But that's another discussion for another day.

Ziggy

Sup?
Actually being the character who dies from a nuclear explosion?

You don't see that in games. It was monumental.

I'm not saying the story was superb but there were moments involved that were pretty gripping for a Psuedo arcade shooter.

Last edited:

Konshentz

Konshentz
I thought the story was fine. Not every game needs to tell a ridiculously complex story. Some work perfectly as a Michael Bay movie.

KSpiceFantastic

Haters gonna hate.
Ok. You win. I'm just hating on Call of Duty... what else is new?

Regardless, a game such as CoD is not art. It's just a selfish cash grab by a company that doesn't need the money.

BigBob

Registered Member
I'm glad I read through this thread and someone completely ruins a game for me. Thanks Ziggy, now I won't have to even try Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 out.