PlayStation 2 PS2 Issues/Problems

iggyshotthebear

Registered Member
I didn't see a forum for troubleshooting so here goes:
THIS IS NOT A DISC READ ERROR... ok I know it sounds rude to start off like that but all the other boards I have posted on assume that's what this is...

The Problem
I have a PS2 Slim Version and the game Frogger for it. It has a purple back with minor scratches. I insert the disc, turn the game system on, and it takes me to the browser screen where it shows a small picture of a disc, and two little pictures of my memory cards. I click the X button after selecting the disc and it takes me right back to the main screen again with the little pictures. The system is no longer under warranty.

What I Have Tried
I have tried placing a one inch piece of tape (suggested by another forum that my husband goes to) on either side of the disc hole to 'balance' it or whatever, that didn't work. I also clay-balled it, and buffed it to no end to where there are virtually no scratches on it whatsoever (thought of that one myself since I am into auto-detailing) By the way, this works great for dvd's to remove scratches but didn't seem to effect the purple backed POS Frogger disc LOL... I have also tried using the same disc in my friends PS2 (same model as mine) and that was a no go as well.

Any suggestions would be extremely helpful! I want to play Frogger DARNIT!

~Fern

Mirage

Administrator
Staff member
V.I.P.
It sounds like it could still be a problem with the disc itself, even if it's not a disc read error. Do you know anyone else who owns the game? Either that or is there a cheap rental place nearby? You should test out another copy of the game in your PS2 and see if it works.

If it DOES, then it's a problem with your game. If it DOESN'T, then unfortunately it's a problem with your PS2.

Do all other games work just fine for you?

iggyshotthebear

Registered Member
Andrew said:
It sounds like it could still be a problem with the disc itself, even if it's not a disc read error. Do you know anyone else who owns the game? Either that or is there a cheap rental place nearby? You should test out another copy of the game in your PS2 and see if it works.

If it DOES, then it's a problem with your game. If it DOESN'T, then unfortunately it's a problem with your PS2.

Do all other games work just fine for you?
I havent been able to find it at the rental store :( And yes, all other games work fine including a different purple backed one. Darnitalltoheck! I really really wanted it to work. Especially right now. Im running out of games to play... just finishes Polar Express (DO NOT BUY THIS GAME LOL Rent it ONLY... entirely easy)

yooperchick

Registered Member
Yeah, it sounds to me that it's the game, especially if other games are working. But that is relatively cheap to fix, compared to getting a whole new system.

I'd also make sure the disk is completely clean.

I've also hear that using toothpaste gets rid of minor scratches. Maybe someone here can confirm that? I've never heard of buffing them. Sounds interesting.

Once it is clean and all scratches are fixed, then give it a go. If it still doesn't work, I think I would go out and buy a new one. Especially since you said it doesn't work on your friend's PS2.

Good Luck!!

Wrecked

Registered Member
madgamer said:
I've also hear that using toothpaste gets rid of minor scratches. Maybe someone here can confirm that? I've never heard of buffing them. Sounds interesting.
if anyone has ever bought an Xbox Magazine Demo, they would know that sometimes the eff'ing disc wouldn't work.

[ ahhhhh there's thunder! someone hold me! ]

so people started posting their own solutions to get the game to work:

1) start system with game inside [ something about the disc getting an extra spin made it work sometimes ]

2) a good cleaning with a window cleaner. use a soft cloth to clean from the inside out in straight lines

3) tooth paste [ not the gel kind ], let it dry and buff it out [ didn't work for me ]

4) boil water. place disc label side up into water. let sit for about 10 seconds. take it out. let it cool before you place it back in the system of course. and the best way to dip it is to tie a string to the CD/DVD. if after 1 dunk it doesn't work, try another. [ this actually worked. i tried to tooth paste thing with no-go, so i tried the boiling trick cause i had nothing to lose and it actually worked ]

5) spin doctor

Mirage

Administrator
Staff member
V.I.P.
Spid Doctor ruined some of my games. I will never use it again.

As for boiling games.. I never even heard of that, but if it worked then it's hard to argue it. I can't say it would be my first option though. I don't like the idea of submerging my cd's in water, let along boiling water..

LaRazaUnida

Registered Member
Recalls

Saw at SEARS the other day when I went to pick something up in the electronics dept that they had issued a recall on PS2s due to faulty/hazardous power cables.

I thought I would throw that into this thread.

yooperchick

Registered Member
Oh my gosh. Thanks for posting that here. My problem with my PS2 is that there is a faulty connection where the adapter plugs into the console. Did they happen to say any more about it?

That would make my day if that has something to do with my problem and I could get it fixed....oh wait. Maybe not. It's been taken apart a little and they probably wouldn't like that.

iggyshotthebear

Registered Member
Andrew said:
Spid Doctor ruined some of my games. I will never use it again.

As for boiling games.. I never even heard of that, but if it worked then it's hard to argue it. I can't say it would be my first option though. I don't like the idea of submerging my cd's in water, let along boiling water..
Submerging your cd's in cold or room temperature water won't hurt them, the boiling water WILL warp them. Be cautious on how long you dunk them if you are trying to remove scratches (technically it just closes the scratch) and it wont work if its a wide scratch... long thin ones it will work for :)

Wrecked

Registered Member
Re: Recalls

LaRazaUnida said:
issued a recall on PS2s due to faulty/hazardous power cables.
i heard about that a few months ago, but there wasn't a recall on the systems themselves, just the powercord.

same goes for xbox but a month or 2 before. faulty power cable that you should replace for the older models. there was a fire or 2 that got started cause of it. the new xbox power cord looks more like a blow dryer's power cord.