Proving your religion

Discussion in 'Religion & Philosophy' started by StroShow, Apr 28, 2010.

1. StroShow

StroShow The return shall be legenday! V.I.P. Lifetime

I noticed that a lot of forums I visit or posts at different members with different religions try to convince everyone their religion is the absolute best to follow. So the question I have for everyone is why everyone is so obsessed "defending" their religion as the absolute one to follow and anything else is not right to them?

Stegosaurus likes this.

2. AngelsPeak

AngelsPeak Wanna play?

Because eternity is, well, forever. I made my decision not just based on this short life, but on what I believe comes after. My conclusion was that I had a choice of Heaven or Hell, nothing else. It's a lot easier to live the right life now, according to God, than to wish for eternity that I could be forgiven and released from my torment.

3. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

Because not being 110% convinced means accepting the possibility that not only are you wrong, but living a life of meaning you thought existed.

4. EllyDicious

EllyDicious made of AMBIGUITY V.I.P. Lifetime

I don't think everyone is obsessed defending their religion.
    This depends on the type of believer.

I think it's logical that if I had a religion I'd try to convince everyone that what I follow is the truth. Otherwise, I wouldn't have followed it myself in the first place.
    Also, many believers want to reinforce their religious choice by making the others follow the same religion.

5. StroShow

This is what I was trying to get at. Why do many beleivers want to try to convert people to their religion. Why is it so important to them to have more followers. That's what I dont understand about this whole religion business.

6. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

It's because religion is not about self-satisfaction anymore. It's about gaining followers and gaining numbers.

StroShow likes this.
  7. StroShow

Sorry about all the question, but what's with the satisfaction of having multiple followers...it's not like your religion will rule the world one day. Or is that people's intentions?? Dont know anything about religion itself but this subject always intrigued me because I do work with a guy who's pretty hardcore and he did try to talk to me about his religion when I first started but stopped after he knew I had no interest.

8. Boredie

Boredie In need of Entertainment

I don't believe that I am obsessed with defending my religion and trying to prove it is the right one. I believe what I do and keep the information for myself. Not because I don't like sharing, but because there is no need to.
    When I do talk about it, I try and be very balanced in my answers, trying not to share the feeling of "I told you so".

Also in answer to your question: will one religion rule the whole world one day. The answer is no (according to my beliefs). But one day God will be acknowledged as the one true ruler (not any particular religion).

9. EllyDicious

EllyDicious made of AMBIGUITY V.I.P. Lifetime

Then if God is the only ruler, why do people follow religions?
    It's one thing to have knowledge about certain religions [and there's nothing wrong in this] and another thing to follow a religion.

10. Boredie

Boredie In need of Entertainment

I personally think it's a mistake to follow a religion, for the sake of the religion. One should follow God, and do so by what seems the most appropriate to them (a religion, whichever it might be).