Proof that the Yankees...

Discussion in 'Sports' started by SamusAran86, Apr 17, 2005.

1. SamusAran86

SamusAran86 Registered Member

are bad for baseball...

The information I am using is coming from this article

Yankees near new stadium deal

First off, they have wanted a new stadium for years, now nearing a deal, they will be building a new stadium right near there current one.

BUT

There new stadium will only hold 50,800. almost 7,000 less than than there current stadium holds, with more "luxary seating"... this from a team with a payroll of over 200 million dollars.

but wait it gets better. The team will completly pay for the construction of the new ballpark. A cost of 800 million, and designed to look like the "old" 1923 stadium

I just think thats nuts... where the hell do they get all the money, and cutting 7,000 seats, well that means thay will most likely have to raise ticket prices, in which they are the most expensive in all baseball...

2. Major

Major 4 legs good 2 legs bad V.I.P.

Ticket prices increase every year anyway. They'll be making all the money from the luxury suites, which all new stadiums have a ton of.

3. NewGamePlus

NewGamePlus Registered Member

WTF are they doing? WTH do they need a new stadium for? Honestly, is it even possible for the Yankees to be thinking of anything OTHER than money??? I swear... it's like they stop winning championships and suddenly turn from a baseball team into something that resembles more of a mob organization.

4. Doc

Doc Trust me, I'm The Doctor. V.I.P.

Yeah, I read this too. Didn't they just overhaul Yankee Stadium back in the mid-90's? I thought it was bull that they are building a smaller stadium, but stressed that there's going to be more luxary seating. Baseball isn't a game for snobs.

5. Pianobone

Pianobone Registered Member

Hey- they aren't the first. St. Louis has been building a new stadium right next to current Busch stadium for the 'Cards. It has something like 9000 fewer seats. GRrrrr...

6. SamusAran86

SamusAran86 Registered Member

Considering the cards are ranked 6th highest payroll of $92,106,833... That doesnt make sense... Its going to raise ticket prices, and they are already out of hand... The current Busch Stadium holds 50,345... why would they take seats out of the new stadium... it just dont make sense

7. NewGamePlus

Well if they have one of the top payrolls, then they can afford to take risks by doing away with some seats, but I would only expect them to do that if they think the team isn't going to get any more expensive to maintain. Maybe they plan on making some big trades or something?

And actually, there can be good reasons for cutting seats. I know that as a fan I tend to like stadiums that don't just crowd a whole bunch of seats out there in the outfield and leave no room for stadium character. So if they're cutting seats to do something creative, then that could be a good thing. But if their interest is purely to provide less and more expensive seating, then it seems kinda selfish because it disadvantages the majority of fans who just want to show up at the ball game and support their team.

8. Major

I don't think you guys understand. Less seats does not necessarily mean less revenue. I'm guessing they're sacrificing regular seats for tons of luxury suites, which will bring in way more revenue than they're currently getting.

9. NewGamePlus

Will it? And will enough people actually buy them?

I know I wouldn't pay that much money for luxury seating. Besides, baseball is just a bunch of "hanging out" anyways. so why pay money just to hang out?

10. Major

Most luxury suites are owned by large companies and they use them to entertain clients and stuff. And yes, in a city like New York (and for the winningest team in American sports history) there will be a huge demand.