Proof of God?

Discussion in 'Religion & Philosophy' started by kcdad, Jun 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kcdad

kcdad Registered Member

This from another thread:
    "Consciousness is one of the greatest proofs of God. Thus my Consciousness is one of my greatest proofs to myself that I am not continuous with the idiot hierarchies of speechless apes, but a created result of another Consciousness that spawned mine. Consciousness can only come from Consciousness." Mickiel

Is this REALLY proof of God, or is it actually proof against the existence of God, and instead, proof of our invention of gods?

Consciousness is purely a cognitive function of our brain.
    ------
    completely unabashed BUMP

Is this too intellectually challenging? Or is it too puerile?

Last edited: Jun 13, 2010

2. Bananas

Bananas Endangered Species

Do androids dream of electric sheep!

I cant see how consciousness is a measure of proof of god. Seeing as most gods in most religions have a resemblance to human body and mind it would suggest they spawned from our consciousness.

We should also not dismiss that the "idiot hierarchies of speechless apes" also appear to have various degrees of consciousness, therefore there is no reason to imply that we are not a continuation.

Edit; this would probably be better placed in philosophy...... depending on the type of answer you think this thread is deserving of.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2010
  3. Mickiel

Mickiel Registered Member

I stated what I did to show why I believe in God, and my own Consciousness is proof to me, I speak for myself, and myself alone, the proof is for me. This Consciousness that I hold, an Introcosm that is more myself than anything I can find in a mirror. A hidden hermitage that relates to the bible and God that is inside of me, a secret theater of speechless monologue and prevenient counsel that tells me I came from another Consciousness, not from a big bang explosion that produced itself out of nothing. The greatness of my Consciousness did not orginate from anything that is " Less than my Consciousness."

This invisible mansion of all my moods, musings and mysteries, an infinite resort of disappointments and discoveries. A whole kingdom where I can reign alone in my beliefs, questioning what I will, commanding what I can, accepting what I reason, and rejecting even more. This was given to me, I was not born with it,it didnot evolve from speechless apes - this insubstantial country of the mind.

The orgin of Consciousness is not evolution, there must be a God! Wherelse can this subjective experience which we introspect on, this constant companion of hosts of associations, hopes, fears, affections, knowledge, colors, smells, toothaches, thrills, tickles, pleasures, distresses and desires-- where and how in evolution could all this wonderful tapestry of inner experience have evolved? How can we derive this inwardness out of mere matter?

I refuse to believe that my Consciousness is the result of luck or random theory, that we came from the most unusual circumstances ever imagined, that Consciousness developed on its own out of nothing.

No, God gave humans Consciousness.

Peace.

4. stevenfermi

stevenfermi Registered Member

I wouldn't say consciousness is proof of God, because it is a cognitive function, regardless. Trying to justify the existence of a God by consciousness is equivalent to trying to justify the existence of aliens by crop circles.

5. kcdad

kcdad Registered Member

"The orgin of Consciousness is not evolution, there must be a God!"
    Oh, I get it now... Poe's Law. You are lampooning fundamentalist thought.

6. Ilus_Unistus

Ilus_Unistus Registered Member

The belief in God or even the Bible is based on Faith.

Faith by definition is, Belief that does not rest on logical proof or material evidence.

So to me if one has "Faith" in God, why would they argue they have proof or evidence of his existence? Is this not a complete contradiction?

7. Boredie

Boredie In need of Entertainment

Slightly off topic,
    So the religion who's god has no resemblance to any figure be it human or otherwise has more of a likely hood that it wasn't spawned from our consciousness?

8. Bananas

Bananas Endangered Species

Simply put...No.
    Animism for example is based on our observed environment. Our consciousness is based on our interpretation of the world around us and how we behave to it, it is our awareness. We are also capable of imaginative thoughts, we are creative creatures and it is our level of creativity that seperates us from other animals., we have entire genres based on it; science-fiction, fantasy etc... which is another interesting point as it could be argued science-fiction has spawned scientology, whilst fantasy is just a form of neo-pagan wiccan or druidism.

However..yes your question was off topic... the point being had the dinosaurs survived and developed a higher level of consciousness and creativity the majority of their Gods would resemble dinosaurs.

9. fractal

fractal Eye see what you did ther

Just because we are not capable of understanding the conscience, it doesn't mean that the explanation is God. It's just that we're limited by our intelligence.

10. kcdad

kcdad Registered Member

There is no "belief" required in The Bible... it is an empirical fact... I have several.
    Belief comes in when one talks about the meaning of The Bible.
    ------
    WHOSE limited? [snicker]

I don't think there is very confusion about consciousness anymore. At least, not in the Psychology and Sociology fields.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2010
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.