• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Prompt #3 - The Childhood Room

dDave

V.I.P.
Take some time and think about it if you need to. You're only allowed 10 minutes at the keyboard though.

Prompt #3 - In no more than 10 minutes, describe your childhood room as best you can. (if you had multiple rooms then pick only one)

penny4URthoughts

Registered Member
My very first childhood room was in where my dad's office is right now. I had it up until the summer of 1988. My room had a bed, a toy chest, lamp, and a closet to keep the rest of my fun stuff. I even had posters that showed the letters of the alphabet and numbers.

dDave

V.I.P.
My second room

--------------------

I distinctly remember getting out of the car after school and rushing into the house. Every day I would dart up the stairs and drop my backpack right inside the door. The room had a sort of short corridor before it opened up into the main area. I always skipped over the single step.

To my left, there was a double window after a short expanse of room. Beneath the window I kept my boombox on top of a short row of cabinets. I was so proud to have my very own music player. I kept many things with sentimental value right around this area such as my grandfathers was drum, my coin collections, and even a couple of my favorite hotwheels.

Just to the left of this window was what can only be called a shrine that I had erected to Lego. What would have otherwise been an oak dresser was covered in Lego sets. I had sets from all kinds of Lego lines. Bionicle, Star Wars, Knights Kingdom, Ninja, Pirates, it was all here and it was all awesome. The room was placed directly over the garage and the ceiling slanted inward before it leveled out at the top. I had completely covered this large wall with Lego posters that I had collected. Everything about this entire section of the room revolved completely around Lego, every young boys dream.

From just walking into the room, my bunk bed would have been directly ahead. The bed was also oak, meant to match as a set with the dresser that I had covered in Legos. I remember having Disney sheets on the bed, Aladdin was always my favorite. My bunk was on the top, my brother's below. At the foot of the bed was my very first desk, this is the first place I fell in love with writing. I had an IBM computer running Windows 95 and I would type for hours and hours before quitting. Admittedly, the quality of the writing was poor, but to a 10 year old me, none of that mattered.

To the right of the bed (on the wall opposite of the first window I mentioned) I had a book case that was half full of books, the other half was toys. I had a large hardcover story book for each of the Disney Classics. The Jungle Book, Beauty and the Beast, The Lion King, it was all here. I even had multiple Uncle Remus story books. The top shelf held the foam lightsaber I had constructed, below that were multiple remote control cars and nerf guns. I remember that my dad got me a special remote control boat that I could use in the pool we had in the back yard.

This room was rarely clean, it had plenty of space though. I loved every minute I spent in that room. I'll never forget the day I had to say goodbye.

idisrsly

I'm serious
V.I.P.
It was a room of wonders, fantasy and dreams - my childhood room. Every little girl wanted one just like it. Frills, flowers and pastel pinks, yellows and greens. A little castle for a little princess. In this room, fantasies came to life, dreams were thought up and tears of joy and sadness were shed.

During the day, this room was a trade office, from which I sold my brothers mysteriously disappeared toys back to him for a marginal handling fee. It was also the executive office from which I kept my mothers books after shopping days and schedules for the week to come. It was my place of solitude when I did not want to fly off rooftops with the boys outside. It was a maze of wonder, wherein I hid my play dolls and toy cars alike.

It was in this room that I spent most of my time with my greatest childhood friend. My business partner, my confidant, my adviser, counselor and my shoulder to cry on. He could never get enough of me and was forever by my side. We would wait up together for the tooth fairy, or to listen for Santa's sleigh bells on Christmas Eve.

Mommy always told me he would leave me one day. One day, I would grow too old for him, she would say. One day he would find a new friend to spend a childhood with, and that I wouldn't miss him or look back. Mommy was wrong. I do miss Xander. I miss the happy and uncomplicated life he was a part of. I miss my childhood and I miss my ever faithful imaginary friend.

dDave

V.I.P.
That's a fantastic piece of writing, Idi. (all in 10 minutes too, impressive) Don't ever let anybody tell you that you can't write.

That could be an excerpt from a book called "Idi." ;)

idisrsly

I'm serious
V.I.P.
Thanks Dave. It took me less than 10 minutes once I got started. I ran dry for ideas though. Haha. The hardest part is the beginning. I enjoy creative writing, but never know how to start. :(

Chaos

Epic Gamer
V.I.P.
The door slowly closed, and the light receded with it until shadows claimed the room. Darkness shrouded the walls, clinging heavily to the corners, muting every sound and devouring the last of the light.

I peeked out at the room, my nose just above the heavy blanket that threatened to strangle me, but even this was worth the price of staying safe for although the heavy cloth weighed me down, clogging my movements, almost forcing me to be still, it was my shield against the dark things of the night.

The dark things in my room.

I remember the walls - by day, a cheery blue, darker than the sky but lighter than the sea; by night, a shade of midnight creeping into the walls of my haven, circling around me like the clutching arms of a monster. I remember the floor, a dark blue that in light lapping at my feet like a gentle tide; in darkness it was nothing, a void, as though the carpet had dropped away to reveal the crevice that sought to swallow me whole, an infiinite depth in which I could scream for eternity and never be heard, in which I would grow old and die before ever reaching the end.

My safe haven was a cage; my fortress was a prison from which I could not escape.

My eyes darted about the room, straining through the darkness for the smallest hint of movement. I am safe, I am safe...but no matter how much I told myself, I could never quite believe my own words.

I jumped; what was that?! The darting motion from the far corner as something flashed across the room, flitting out of sight behind the wardrobe, the creature impossibly slipping into the thin gap between the wooden structure and the wall.

I stared, my breathing heavy. My eyes roamed the room once more, seeking out those little giveaway movements, those tell-tale hints that I was not alone. There! On the shelf, behind the Lego vehicles, behind the plastic dinosaur - I saw it, I know I did! But I could do nothing, for if I left the safety of my blanket the creature tucked away beneath my bed would reach out with its clawed hand and grab, dragging me into the darkness with it. I could not move.

I would not move.

So I waited, with strained eyes and jagged nerves, for sleep to take me away to a world where monsters roamed.