Promotion and Relegation

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
Soccer fans should be familiar with it, but for those who don't know, it's when the top and bottom teams in the league get promoted or relegated to a higher or lower league at the end of the season. For example, the bottom three teams in the English Premier League get demoted to the Championship, and the top three teams from the Championship move up to the Premier League. The bottom three from the Championship are demoted to the league below that, and so on. There's something like 24 different levels in the English football system.

So my question is, could something like this ever work in American sports leagues like the NFL, MLB, NBA, etc? Is it something you would like to see?
------
I guess I'll go ahead and be the first to answer.

Yes, I would like to see a promotion/relegation system put into all of the American sports leagues. It gives every team something to play for. The worst teams in the league would have to play hard throughout the season to earn the right to stay in the top division and avoid being demoted. Also, with more leagues being created, a lot of the smaller cities that will never get a professional team under the current system would get to have a team and an opportunity to move up through the ranks to the top division.

No, I don't think it would ever be successful in American sports, not because it's a bad system, but because American sports fans would never buy into it. Most people just wouldn't want to support the teams that aren't at the top level. Those teams would never be able to survive. It could maybe work for football since it's so popular, but definitely not in the other sports.

Last edited:

Vidic15

No Custom Title Exists
V.I.P.
I thought the American Sports already had a relegation system, but if soccer could have it, why can't other leagues and sports around the world, it can always help a RELEGATED team try to work harder and improve their basic skills and fight to get promoted back to their old league, and it can give the teams that have never played in the top league something to aim for, give their players a shot at glory.

No, I don't think it would ever be successful in American sports, not because it's a bad system, but because American sports fans would never buy into it. Most people just wouldn't want to support the teams that aren't at the top level. Those teams would never be able to survive. It could maybe work for football since it's so popular, but definitely not in the other sports.
Good point there, but it would also show if the fans are bandwagoners or not or will they support their team despite them getting relegated lower and lower.

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
I liked this system because teams cannot rest on their laurels. The lower group teams also have something to look forward to. It's good exposure for them when they move to L1. Sometimes they even beat several good L1 teams that you wonder why they're not there before.