Progressive? What does that mean?

SmilinSilhouette

Registered Member
I have my own ideas, of course! But I am wondering what does that mean to those that would call themselves "progressive"? What are your beliefs and how do they manifest themselves in your political views?

Merc

Certified Shitlord
V.I.P.
I think it's another silly label people used to organize their friends and enemies. I would like to think that all human beings in this apparently civilized nation are for progress in some shape or form. The obvious gray area is that we all disagree on what progress really is and that's where all the bitching and ranting starts.

Jeanie

still nobody's bitch
V.I.P.
The opposite of conservative. Moving toward reform and change from the status quo, embracing new ideas.

SmilinSilhouette

Registered Member
The opposite of conservative. Moving toward reform and change from the status quo, embracing new ideas.
How opposite? If conservative is related to the constitution then do progressives seek to abolish it? I'm all for positive reform and unhappy with the current status quo. I can embrace new ideas if they have substance, but not just for the sake of their "newness"

So what reforms do progressives support? What are their new ideas? From my understanding the progressive movement has been around for a while, so what is new about it?

Jeanie

still nobody's bitch
V.I.P.
Conservatism is not related to the constitution. The Right doesn't have exclusive claim to it.

"New" ideas - some of which have admittedly been around for a long time, but were decidely uphill battles to bring to fruition - such as women having the right to vote, Civil Rights legislation, green living, acknowledging that global warming is a real and serious phenomenon, worker's rights, etc.

Merc

Certified Shitlord
V.I.P.
I'm not getting how it's the opposite of conservative. Well, I get it if you're going to go by Salon or MSNBC's definition of progressive which is just interchangeable with liberal.

SmilinSilhouette

Registered Member
Conservatism is not related to the constitution.
I disagree, what do you think it is that conservatives wish to conserve?

The Right doesn't have exclusive claim to it.
Never said it does! I would hope it is there for all americans.

"New" ideas - some of which have admittedly been around for a long time, but were decidely uphill battles to bring to fruition - such as women having the right to vote, Civil Rights legislation,
which I and most conservatives support
I don't believe that federal government should dictate lifestyles.
acknowledging that global warming is a real and serious phenomenon,
is that part of the progressive platform?
worker's rights, etc.
In what way? Workers rights in regard to what? are those rights somehow different than the rights of all citizens?

Jeanie

still nobody's bitch
V.I.P.
Did you ask the question because you wanted to know, or did you ask so you could tell me I'm full of shit?

SmilinSilhouette

Registered Member
Did you ask the question because you wanted to know, or did you ask so you could tell me I'm full of shit?
I don't think you're full of shit, I ask because I'm looking for specifics not generalizations. I'm trying to understand what it is that progressives believe and what policies they support. For example, what does "workers rights" mean? The right to have a job, to make a certain wage, to be entitled to advancement, to join or not be forced to join a union?