Progressive Rock/Progressive Metal

Discussion in 'Music' started by Kazmarov, Jan 2, 2008.

1. Kazmarov

Kazmarov For a Free Scotland

I made a thread about this back during the F-C days, and I want to see what new members and GF think about progressive rock and progressive metal.

I'm a big fan with progressive rock, as a lot of rock is simplistic and repetitive.

Yes

Yes has been around for forever, since the sixties. They focus on complex instrumentals and showcasing the instrumental skills of the individual members.

YouTube - Yes - Owner Of A Lonely Heart

Rush

I'm not a huge Rush fan, but they probably have the best drummer I've ever heard. Long songs, and they have a very interesting tone to it all, kind of like Boston.

YouTube - Rush - Red Barchetta: Live (1980/Canada)

Porcupine Tree

I can't emphasize this enough, this band rocks my socks off. An English band dating from the early nineties, their musical scope and instrumental talent surpass anything I've previously listened to. A must-listen.

YouTube - Porcupine Tree "Fear Of A Blank Planet"

This version is cut, the full version's about eight minutes.

Dream Theater

Pretty much the gods of progressive metal, there are few bands more awe-inspiring and talented than Dream Theater. Excellent and powerful guitars, but melodic beyond all previous limits.

YouTube - Pull Me Under

2. RTWmaniac

RTWmaniac Registered Member

I'm huge into prog rock. Yes has a handful of amazing albums but for each one, there are a couple that just don't do it for me (e.g. Tales from TO). Close to the Edge is my all time favorite album.

You didn't mention Opeth! Definitely one of my favorite all time bands. Give them a listen if you haven't heard them, and if you don't mind heavier material. Also, I suggest giving Thessera a listen. They sound A LOT like Dream Theater. Like, you will think it's a new DT album. Much better vocalist though, IMO (I wish DT would fire James). Also King Crimson deserves a mention.

3. Kazmarov

I would have mentioned Opeth, however I just downloaded one of their albums (Deliverance) yesterday, and I haven't formed a solid opinion on them yet.

4. RTWmaniac

Deliverance is my favorite Opeth album, but it took me over a year to come to that realization. Blackwater Park seems to be the best album for new listeners. The Drapery Falls and The Leper Affinity are two great relatively listener friendly tracks for heavy Opeth standards.

5. Shooting_Palanx

Shooting_Palanx The Rock is cooking atm..

How about Queen? They had some progressive sides to rock.

6. Turbo

Turbo Registered Member

would you consider the epic, 15-minute long, Ina-Gadda-Da-Vida from Iron Butterfly progressive and if so could it be safe to say that it was the birth of this form of rock/metal?

7. Kazmarov

No, that's totally wrong. Both Genesis and Yes started making music in 1967 and 1968, when that song was made.

8. RTWmaniac

If anything, I think In-A-Gadda is more associated with pioneering heavy metal than progressive. In addition to Kaz' examples of early prog bands, you also have Rush, King Crimson, and the Moody Blues.

9. Turbo

Turbo Registered Member

i see; i hate categorizing rock/metal into sub categories cause its all good to me, just thought that InaGaddaDaVida fit this category from its sound