Programs that Win 7 is not comp. with.

Discussion in 'Computers' started by EllyDicious, Mar 25, 2010.

1. EllyDicious

EllyDicious made of AMBIGUITY V.I.P. Lifetime

What are some programs that windows 7 is not compatible with ?
    I hear people say the upgrade is not worthy [for some programs]

What are some of the programs you know/think won't work with Win 7?

2. dDave

dDave Guardian of the Light V.I.P.

It all depends on what version of windows 7 you get.

Windows 7 Professional and Ultimate comes with Windows XP mode which can run all of your old programs, it's Windows XP Pro 64 bit for free on a virtual machine through windows 7, I like it.

As far as literally running programs with Windows 7 I've tried a few that don't work.

Norton Partition Magic 8.0
    Half of my old games
    Nero CD Burner (compatibility problems, but the program will run)

I believe the main difference between XP and 7 is the staple 32 bit on XP and 64 bit on Windows 7.

I haven't run into nearly enough compatibility issues to be slightly concerned with it though, I'm very satisfied with Windows 7.

What programs are you looking to run on Windows 7?

I've used XP, Vista, and Windows 7 a lot, I have to say that Windows 7 simply destroys the other two, it's definitely worth the upgrade.

3. EllyDicious

my windows xp is 32 bits.
    these are the programs installed on my computer...
    tell me which of them might not work on 7.

[​IMG]

direct link for a bigger view
    http://i39.tinypic.com/10qgniv.jpg

4. dDave

dDave Guardian of the Light V.I.P.

Here's a few that I looked up and found problems with

Nero 7 Premium
    Stardock
    Samsung PC Studio (Depends on the version you have)

The problem with just being given a list is that there really is no way to know (unless you look each one up individually), I'd say that most 32 bit programs will run just fine in 64 bit Windows 7, but others simply wont.

Obviously stuff like...

Safari
    Chrome
    iTunes
    Microsoft Office
    Windows Media Player
    Firefox
    AIM
    Quicktime
    Real

will all work with Windows 7 of any kind.

I haven't even heard of half of the programs on your list :lol: that's kind of strange.

Just remember that anything made by Microsoft will work with windows 7 basically, they tend to keep all of their stuff compatible.

5. Nevyrmoore

Nevyrmoore AKA Ass-Bandit

While I doubt you use it for this, it's kinda worth mentioning for any PC gamers reading that some older games like Deus Ex tend not to work well in Windows 7, if at all. Even with that Windows XP mode...

6. Psyco

Psyco Food Whore

I personally haven't ran into many (if any problems) with trying to install programs on windows 7.... Well, besides the library cd for the PCB design program i use, but i seem to be able to survive without it.

7. EllyDicious

No. I don't use it for games at all.

@dDave - for example I know that VLC media player [32bits] works on 64bits as there's not other release of this player.

8. Bananas

Bananas Endangered Species

I have yet to find any program that does not work on windows 7

I think win 7 is worth the upgrade, incompatability issues are so few and far between the pro's and perks of the upgrade easily outweigh the negatives.

Nearly all 32bit programs work fine on 64bit systems. Windows 7 64bit will have a second Program files labelled x86 that it uses for the 32bit programs.