Programming the TV

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Sim, Jan 13, 2010.

1. Sim

Sim Registered Member

Yesterday, I took some time organizing the channel order on my TV again and thought about an order that makes sense (yes, I had too much time on my hands).

So I wonder, if you still watch free tv, instead of online streaming/video on demand that is, do you have a particular channel order, and why? Do you put the channels you watch most often on the first spots? Or do you organize them according to another logic?

This subject may seem anal, because most people probably don't care much for channel order, but I really had too much time on my hands, so I want to share this with you. ;)

In my case, I put the two major national public channels (here in Germany) on spot #1 and #2 (they are still among the 4 most watched channels nation-wide) and even have the numbers "1" and "2" in their names (because they were the only two channels that existed, before private TV was legalized in the 80s). On #3, I put the public local channel (for the Berlin-Brandenburg area), and because it's a channel I regularly watch, I put another public channel on #4, called "Phoenix", which is a news and documentary channel, i.e. with live broadcasts of debates in the parliament.

On spots #5 to #10, the six major national private channels follow. I don't watch them as often as the public channels, because there are too many advertisement breaks and their program is shrill and lacking quality, but sometimes, they provide decent series and movies. On spots #11-#13, I put private special interest channels with focus on old movies and family/children program, which I don't watch often, but sometimes after all.

On #14 and #15, the two public transnational channels follow ("arte", which is a German/French cooperation channel, and "3sat", which is a German/Austrian/Swiss cooperation program).

#16 to #19 is reserved for the public regional channels from other regions of the country (one channel each for north Germany, west Germany, south-west Germany and south-east Germany). On #20, the public channel with focus on children and family follows.

#21 to #24 is the news channel section: Two public and two private news channels are placed there. On #25 and #26, two sports channels follow (I hardly watch sports, and thus, I put them at the end), and #27 is the Christian religious channel (no need for that one, really). On the following program spots, I placed trash channels I never watch, like adverstisement or game show channels with no news, movies or series.

So I have grouped channels with regard to legal status (public vs. private) and program focus (general channels vs. regional vs. news channels vs. sports channels). So far, I like that order.

So how do you do it? Do you group channels according to a particular logic?

2. R1pperZ

R1pperZ Registered Member

Indeed, I have Comcast so unfortunately I'll have to leave the channels at the pre-designated channel number.:-/

I have a favorites list that I use to surf the channels I watch most often but I really only watch a few channels so I pull up the TV guide and go to those stations to see whats on.

3. Bjarki

Bjarki Registered Member

Our tv has a special auto-programming function, it's done in like 5 secs automatically. And much the same like the one you've mentioned: public tv first, then the national commercial channels, the regional one, the docs-channels, music & kids-channels, german channels, belgium tv, english channels, french channel and finally the smaller local channels.

I tend to watch #1,2,3 (national public), #13,14,15 (NGC,Discovery,Animal Planet), #17 (Comedy Central), #21 (ZDF (history nights :))) and #24,25 (Belgium public).
    I don't think the rest of the family will agree if i put those first and it's likely to get messy as well (I manually stored the TV in my room, it's pretty hard to find something :sick:).

Last edited: Jan 13, 2010
  4. Major

Major 4 legs good 2 legs bad V.I.P.

We don't have that option here as far as I know. The cable and satellite providers have their own channel listings that you are stuck with.

5. Sim

Sim Registered Member

Judging from the replies here, I guess it's a European thing to care for channel order.

Unfortunately, I don't get Dutch television here in Berlin. It would be nice to listen to the Dutch language once in a while (because of the close contact with my Dutch friends since childhood, I understand it pretty well, although I can hardly talk myself). =)

And yes, the history documentaries on ZDF are pretty good (at least for entertainment purposes). I assume you have learnt German in school?

6. Bjarki

Bjarki Registered Member

yes, just a few years though, I really didn't like the teacher, so I threw it out once I had the opportunity :stare:

7. EllyDicious

EllyDicious made of AMBIGUITY V.I.P. Lifetime

i program the tv channel based on likeness.[actually on what I like ] and my family doesn't bother. i just have to let them know what numbers are their fav. channels.
    they may cover different different fields.those that i watch are mostly in the top 10. [including news channels, music channels, documentary and fashion channels].

8. Impact

Impact Registered Member V.I.P. Lifetime

We can only organize the order of free tv channels here, and it only makes sense to me to have them in numerical order. Sky/Cable, whatever the hell you call it is all organized by the company that provides it.

I guess sometimes it would be handy to have all the channels I like grouped together.

9. Boredie

Boredie In need of Entertainment

I don't currently own a tv, but when I still lived with my parents we only had 2 channels available to us anyway(public), so it wasn't difficult to place the order of the channels.