• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Professors say today's college kids really ARE dumber and lazier

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/15/opinion/15arum.html?_r=1&src=me&ref=general

We've touched on this subject a few times here on GF. Two professors studied thousands of college students and found that as a rule they don't study as much as previous generations, show very little improvement in critical thinking skills, yet do fine on GPA and feel just as accomplished when they graduate.

Thoughts?

Nevyrmoore

AKA Ass-Bandit
I don't buy it, simply because of one thing; it's done by just two professors. They may have had a sample size in the "several thousands", but that's nothing compared to a population size of over 3 million. If more scientists were to do it, and sample sizes started rising to the hundreds of thousands mark, then I'd be more likely to believe it.

Further, I can't recall where I heard or read this, but in terms of people getting dumber, IQs are actually going up. Sure, scores themselves may look the same, but that's because the median and the test itself changes. Someone with an IQ of, say, 80 is actually rated higher than someone who would have gotten an 80 back in the 30's or 40's. Then again, it's disputed as to if IQ means anything in regards to actual intelligence, so maybe this second paragraph wasn't needed. Still, worth throwing it out there.

Wade8813

Registered Member
A few problems with their conclusions:

They seem to assume that volume of reading several pages a week or writing a lot somehow automatically means better education. And I would guess part of the reason less time is spent studying is because of advances in technology.