Professional Boxing..

Discussion in 'Boxing / MMA' started by Southpaw, Jul 25, 2009.

1. Southpaw

Southpaw Registered Member

Hello to all...

I'm a professional boxing historian, & have been asked by the administrators to introduce the topic here on GF.. Please feel free to ask me any questions regarding the sport.. You may be someone who wants to learn about the sport or alternatively have some knowledge you'd like to share or discuss..
    So please feel free to discuss anything from John L Sullivan to Floyd Mayweather Jnr.. I duly look forward to your responses..

Regards, Southpaw..

2. Ylem

Ylem Registered Member

Hello and welcome. Your name seems somewhat familar.

3. Southpaw

Hi Yelm.. I'm mickey malone on that site.. Always wanted the user name southpaw, but was already heavily in use & I didn't want to confuse things..
    Seen a few of the boys on here, so perhaps we should give it some attention.. Never too spoiled for choice..

4. wolfheart

wolfheart Registered Member

Hello Southpaw, a pro boxing historian that is cool mate should make the boxing threads a bit more active, it was getting a bit lonely with just me and Babe Ruth discussing things.

Hopefully we will be able to keep up and not make ourselves sound to bad, lol.

Have you got any experiance in the ring yourself?.

5. Southpaw

I was am amateur for a few years during the early 80's.. W9 L2 D2.. southpaw welter, had a tendency to cut up, so decided on a bit more theory lol.. Still keep my hand in at 45 with some light training & do some work within the boxing sector..

6. wolfheart

Thats not a bad record mate, well nice to have you aboard.

I never did like going up against southpaws, just throws the whole game plan off.

7. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

I'm really glad you decided to join Southpaw, you've done a great job so far and hopefully you'll keep up the great work. Like Wolfheart mentioned it was pretty much only me and him discussing boxing, but I wanted to change that, and so far it's been working.

8. Southpaw

That's cool.. It appears I'm in good company.. Unfortunately as the site becomes more popular, there will be the odd 'troll' to humor, but that's just part & parcel..
    Thanks for the welcome gents.. I'm sure I'll see you on the shop floor.. Regards Sp

9. wolfheart

Hi Southpaw, I was wondering what your thoughts were on Maxi Baer, I know that he was a Heavyweight champ beating Primo Carnera for the title and holding the title for a year losing to Jimmy Braddock and I know that he beat Max Shmeling in 1933.

What I would like to find out is what was he like in the ring, was he an all out puncher or was he a good technical boxer, that kind of thing.
    Really hope you can help out with this.

10. Southpaw

Baer had a terrific right hand & a good boxing physique.. Although not the most naturally gifted of fighters he had tremendous raw power, & finished most of his opponents by way of KO.. Against Carnera, who was 50 lbs heavier, Baer knocked him down 11 times in 11 rounds on route to the title.. Before becoming champ, he thrilled audiences by KOing hapless opponents, while generally larking about.. Baer was a clown Prince who couldn't take anything seriously.. He often partied & neglected training for the high life..
    Subsequently, he underestimated Braddock & got outworked in his very 1st defense.. Coming back, he decided to take things more seriousy, & got in good shape to challenge a prime Joe Louis, who'd just KO'd Braddock for the title.. Louis however, was just too good, & Baer was dismantled & KO'd by 4.. During 1 intervention, when the ref asked him where he was, Baer spat blood, & said, "I'm in New York getting the crap beat outta me!" That was his nature lol..
    Shortly afterwards he lost & won DC's to Tommy Farr, before succuming to up & comer, Lou Nova, getting stopped on both occasions.. In retirement he became a radio personality & starred in a film called 'The Prize Fighter & The Lady' (1933) alongside Jack Dempsey of all people..
    Hope this has been useful... Regards Sp