Problems with flash drive

Discussion in 'Computers' started by AnitaKnapp, Jul 9, 2010.

1. AnitaKnapp

AnitaKnapp It's not me, it's you. V.I.P. Lifetime

So, I have a little keychain flash drive that I use here and there. I wanted to use it to transfer music from my old laptop to my work computer, so that I could upload music to my zune. My old laptop can't handle the software unless I do tons of updates, and that would take ages on that slow thing.

Anywho, my problem is that my work computer will not recognize the drive. It recognizes it in new hardware, but the usual pop up that asks you how you want to view the content on the drive does not pop up.

So then, I go to the "My Computer" section to try to manually access it there, but it doesn't show up anywhere for me to click on. All I have is the C, D, and an A (floppy drive)...and then I have network drives...but no flash drive.

I can click on the task bar and do the whole...safe to remove hardware stuff. So the task bar recognizes it, but I can't open it.

Any idea what may be causing this, or is there a different way that I can access the info off the drive?

2. fractal

fractal Eye see what you did ther

The drive is fucked, and there's nothing you can do about it. Very common problem. I suggest you backup the next lucky time it works.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2010
  3. AnitaKnapp

No, it's not fucked.

It works on every other computer I have tried it on. Both of my laptops, and my PC at home.

The work one is the only computer that doesn't recognize it.

4. fractal

Well, if that's not the case, what you said is expected if the work computer does not allow you to use removable drives. If other pen drives work, I have no idea. If they don't, it's probably a policy enforced by the admin.

5. AnitaKnapp

That's not it, either. I just put in a smaller, 1.0 GB flash drive, and the work computer recognized it right away. I just don't understand why it doesn't recognize the other, much larger one. It's going to be a pain to transfer all the music using a 1.0 GB.

I was just wondering if this was a common issue, and if there was some easy fix that I don't know about.

6. fractal

If you want to try it, backup data and format the drive. Try doing it with the formatted drive.

7. AnitaKnapp

I'm not quite that computer literate. That made no sense to me. lol

I'm not quite sure how to reformat a drive...and wouldn't the problem be with my work computer, since it's the only one that doesn't recognize it? And I'm not so sure that reformatting my work computer is such a good idea.

8. fractal

Not the computer. Copy data from your problematic drive into some other place. Insert the pen drive. Right click on the drive and format. Make sure you select "Quick format".

9. icegoat63

icegoat63 Son of Liberty V.I.P. Lifetime

I've had this same issue. The problem that I found was that the Flash Drive is USB 2.0 and the Port on this Computer you're trying to use is USB 1.0

If the computer is older chances are thats what you're experiencing. I unfortunately dont know any solutions to solve this other than maybe making a Flash Disk out of a blank CD and attempting to do it that way instead.

10. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

Goat took my idea, the computer may be a bit older than the flash drive you're trying to use. What operating system are you using at work and what operating systems have you used the flash drive with?