• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Problems connecting dvd-rom to motherboard.

lazershadow

I have an asus p5k motherboard and an asus 1814bl dvd-rom.

Instruction manual says:
7. Connect one end of the IDE/SATA ribbon cable to the IDE/SATA connector at the back of the optical drive, matching the colored stripe on the cable with pin 1 on the IDE connector. Connect the other end of the IDE/SATA cable to the IDE/SATA connector on the motherboard.

My problems are: 1) There are no cables specifically for the optical drive, but I believe I can use the HDD cable (seems to be IDE, and fits into dvd-rom connector. My HDD is already connected with a SATA cable)
2)I can't see any appropriate IDE connector on the motherboard, except for one that's underneath the graphics card.
3) There is a SATA connector on the motherboard, but not on the optical drive.

Any suggestions? (look motherboard and dvd-rom up for pictures, if that helps you help me :))

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
Well if it's an IDE drive then you'll have to have an IDE on your motherboard. If not you can buy a RAID PCI adapter and hook it up through that. Otherwise you'll need to get a SATA drive or a new motherboard. You can't really splice the cables to get it to work.

SATA is the newer technology, and IDE is on the way out anyway.