Problem with my fan

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Babe_Ruth, May 13, 2009.

1. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

Everytime I turn on my laptop the fan makes a huge noise, I cant really explain the noise, but it wasnt making that noise when I purchased the laptop. It stops after ten to fifteen minutes. It's quite annoying.

I know nothing about computers, but do you know what might be the problem. Do I just need to clean it? Or you believe it needs to be changed?

2. ysabel

ysabel /ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5

I think you need to clean it but you need to open up the case. Do you know anyone who can do that? I won't dare with my own laptop, I'm afraid to make it worse, haha. But that's what we did with our other computer before. It was less noisy after. We also added a case fan to help with the cooling.

3. Rebeccaaa

Rebeccaaa yellow 4!

I had that problem with my PC, the fan was really dusty inside so it had to be cleaned. Do you have a CD in your laptop? That's usually what makes mine noisy, other times I think it's overheated because I don't rest it on a hard flat surface.

4. Nightsurfer

Nightsurfer ~Lucky 13 strikes again~

you need to lube the fan. Mine did the same thing after a while so I tightened the nut that held it in place and put some lube on the shaft of the fan (sounds kind of dirty doesn't it?). I used GDL for the lube but you can get a basic electronic lube at Radio shack.

But be careful on some electronics if you crack the case open you just voided the warranty. If your lap is new take back to the place of purchase and have them do it so you don't void anything.

AnitaKnapp likes this.
  5. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

The warranty is definitely done on the laptop. So I might attempt to do this by myself or I might take it to the store.

If any other members have more advice keep them coming. I appreciate everyone that as helped so far,

6. dDave

dDave Guardian of the Light V.I.P.

The first thing that comes to mind for me is that it has a bad motor, but I would try cleaning it first to see if that fixes the problem.

I had a computer a few years ago (it's the one that I rebuilt last year) that had the same problem, from the way you describe it, the fan just simply wouldn't stop making noise, it was kind of a grinding noise, it was easy to tell that something was wrong. I quickly learned that I had a bad fan, though it still worked it was making way too much noise because the motor was going bad.

you might want to try and clean the fan first but if all else fails getting a new fan will solve the problem.

Luckily fans are not expensive at all. :lol:

7. Arcadoc

Arcadoc Registered Member

Sorry, but not only is that just a temporary fix, like a band-aid, but it's also the very worst thing you could do. Those fans are sealed by the label over the center bearings, and if you lubricate them you run the risk of the fan spinning that lube all over your motherboard, RAM, video card and any other peripherals you might have installed. That's going to cause lots and lots of expensive problems for you in the future.
    Secondly, the lubricant is going to attract even more dust and dirt, which act like sandpaper on the bearings causing them to pit and degrade faster, thus shortening the lifespan of the fan even further. That's to say nothing of all that dust and dirt accumulating inside your laptop causing even more problems.
    Your best bet is to just replace the fan. You have to disassemble the laptop anyway, right? Just take the fan out and go buy a new one. It'll be a lot cheaper for you in the long run.