• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Probably the coolest Church ever

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
23 Inspirational Signs From The Church Championing Gay Rights

Just saw this on Buzzfeed, it's a church in NSW, Australia. If all Churches were like this I wouldn't have such a problem with religion. I followed their official page on FB so that I can see their signs all the time. They are so uplifting. It's not even just the gay rights but everything else they are doing. Amazing.

Reactions: Sim

dDave

V.I.P.
So, you like this church because it agrees with your viewpoint? I'm not even going to get into what the church believes but rather why you agree with them. All it takes for you to not have a problem with religion is if they champion gay rights?

Sorry if I'm not explaining this well, but why is that?

I think that when deciding whether or not you like a church that you have to compare their beliefs with the Bible, not your personal beliefs. Conformity to culture does not make Christianity.

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
Do I like it because it agree's with my viewpoint? Well... yeah. Of course I do. Who wouldn't like something that has the same views and opinions that they do?

As you can see in my first post, I said it's not just the gay rights aspect, but everything this church is doing. I like them because they are non-judgmental, inclusive of everyone and not afraid to stand up for non-conventional Church viewpoints. They also speak for the rights of asylum seekers, and for climate change among many other issues. Which I think is great.

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
That's fine, if people like this church for their own personal reasons more power to them. Me, I'm concerned with the teachings of Jesus Christ and the salvation of my soul. As a practicing Catholic I'm not even a real big fan of the "new Mass" otherwise known as the Novus Ordo Missae which was promulgated by Pope Paul VI after Vatican II. I'm more of a fan of the older Mass, which was considered more Christ centered versus this mass considered more Man centered. I don't go to Mass to be entertained or catered to, I go to Mass to give praise and recurve the Eucharist. I'm not putting this church down, people can worship as they please, but in my opinion it isn't consistent with what Jesus was instituting.

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
Yeah that's a good way of seeing it. This is more of a church for younger generations, and for anyone who doesn't feel like they fit into other more conventional churches. It's just a different way to worship that will suit some people more than others.

Sim

Registered Member
It's fine when a Christian church puts the main focus on the second most important rule of Christianity: Love thy neighbor as you love yourself.

IMO, you can well base the idea on the scripture that all other concerns are secondary to this rule (and the most important rule, loving God).

Asfaik, the only verse in the NT where homosexuality is condemned is by Paul (was it in Romans?) -- Jesus himself nothing said anything about it. When you look at that quote by Paul from a historical perspective, it's well possible that he was just referring to certain practizes in ancient Rome that involved idolatry -- IIRC, it was not unpopular at that time that worshippers of a certain goddess would practize homosexuality to worship her.

But the question aside if or if not homosexuality is a sin, IMO, there is no doubt that based on the scripture, the commandment of love is more important.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I think its great this church is joining the modern world and not preaching hate against gays but instead trying to include them. I liked number 23 the best.

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
It's fine when a Christian church puts the main focus on the second most important rule of Christianity: Love thy neighbor as you love yourself.

IMO, you can well base the idea on the scripture that all other concerns are secondary to this rule (and the most important rule, loving God).

Asfaik, the only verse in the NT where homosexuality is condemned is by Paul (was it in Romans?) -- Jesus himself nothing said anything about it. When you look at that quote by Paul from a historical perspective, it's well possible that he was just referring to certain practizes in ancient Rome that involved idolatry -- IIRC, it was not unpopular at that time that worshippers of a certain goddess would practize homosexuality to worship her.

But the question aside if or if not homosexuality is a sin, IMO, there is no doubt that based on the scripture, the commandment of love is more important.
Just to be clear those churches that do not condone homosexual behavior or do not accept gay marriage DOESN'T mean they don't love gay people as fellow human beings or as children of God. I think too many times people jump on that "you're just a hater" or "this is hate" bandwagon way too fast. Opposing certain behavior doesn't mean they hate the person engaging in that behavior. I'm not saying you're doing that here, I just wanted to clarify.

Reactions: Sim

Taliesin

Registered Member
Are these signs attention seeking? Certainly. That's what signs are for.

And I do like what they're saying.

I liked 11 and 12 the best. I loathe how our politicians (regardless of their parties or leanings) cynically scapegoat asylum seekers to win votes.

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
Yeah I love all the stuff they are saying about asylum seekers. It annoys me so much when Abbott calls them "illegals". Have some respect, these are people you are talking about.