Proactiv

kiwi

The Original Kiwi
Anybody used this? My hormones got all out of whack after the last two kids and I can not get my face clear. I feel like a teenager going through puberty again. I've tried a couple things I can get from any old store, and I thought they were helping at first, but after a few weeks, things went back to normal.

So any thoughts? Anybody use this? Should I just breakdown and go to a dermatologist?

Obsessiforge

- Diderot Reborn -
I find it amazing that the site stuck a Murad banner on this thread. this ad system amazes me. very clever.

...which is just a cover for the fact that I have nooooo idea.

redsoxocd

living on the border
My friend uses it, but only when she has like a breakout or something. The other day she got this huge red zit, and she used it at night, and the next day it was gone.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I used it when I was a teenager, never worked on me. Also it's very expensive so after a few months paying so much money and it wasn't getting rid of my acne problem, I decided to go see my doctor and he prescribe something to me and it really worked.

I would never recommened Proactiv to anyone.

Oooh_snap

Living on the 0th floor
V.I.P.
I have a friend who used it and he had horrible horrible acne, and It almost completely cleared him up, but of course he couldn't afford it anymore and his acne came back. When I worked in a pharmacy my pharmacist got his kids proactiv versus accutane and what not, but accutane is great, but you do have to take pregnancy tests that your doctor has to sign off on, and they will give you a card allowing you to have it and you cannot lose that card!!

kiwi

The Original Kiwi
Well, I don't plan on getting pregnant again, so that shouldn't be an issue, BUT what can be the side effects if I do get pregnant?

Swiftstrike

Registered Member
Well, I don't plan on getting pregnant again, so that shouldn't be an issue, BUT what can be the side effects if I do get pregnant?
If you go on accutane once for like 6 or 8 months you probable wont have consistent acne the rest of your life (like 70%). I unfortunately was in the 30% (my acne wasn't bad just consistent) so I went on Amnesteem 2x. Been fine since.

Disfigured babies, aborted fetus' , down syndrome, etc.

Side-effects include very dry skin, chapped lips, nosebleeds, some headaches, muscle aches depression (mainly because that senator's son committed suicide while on it) some other things too.

You have to get your blood tested once a month. Can't donate blood or drink any (any) alcohol.

Also thyroid gland they monitor.

I doubt any dermatologist would recommend accutane without trying several other drugs and topicals first.

It's a pretty extreme measure.