Pro-Lifers - A Serious Question...

Will you take in a child nine months from now to prevent an abortion?

• Total voters

PretzelCorps

Registered Member
I've given this matter quite a bit of thought lately. On one hand, I'm fundamentally pro-life, since I believe that mistakes should have consequences, and everyone deserves a chance. On a practical level, though, I'm pro-choice, as a child should never be considered a "consequence", and if neither the parent or the state are fit to properly care for the child(ren) nine months from now...

I agree --> In a perfect world, all pregnancies should be carried to term; unfortunately, we do not live in a perfect world.

So here is what I want to know from you:

A woman is 1 week pregnant. For whatever reason she cannot (ie: "cannot", not "will not") care for the child. She is going to get an abortion. There is, however, a way to prevent the abortion: If you personally take in the child nine months from now, and care for him/her for the rest of their life, she will carry to term.

Are you willing to adopt nine months from now?

Last edited:

Wade8813

Registered Member
Which then raises the question, if you'd do it for one, would you do it for two? Five? Ten?

Would a pro-choice person be willing to adopt a kid from a 3rd world country to save his/her life?

Bananas

Endangered Species
Would a pro-choice person be willing to adopt a kid from a 3rd world country to save his/her life?
No, I would not. For that reason I would hope future children are not born to the misery that the child is suffering. Sometimes abortion is the lesser of two evils.

==========================

I think Pretzel asks an important question. So often in life it is those who want to protect life so adamantly who are also willingly to abuse it.
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/21/world/europe/21ireland.html?_r=2

Personally I think the word pro-life is incorrect as there is a difference between living and existing, as so often is the case with unwanted offspring..

Wade8813

Registered Member
No, I would not. For that reason I would hope future children are not born to the misery that the child is suffering. Sometimes abortion is the lesser of two evils.
Is infanticide sometimes the lesser of two evils too?

Maybe there's something I haven't thought of, but it seems to me that if abortion isn't murder, there isn't really much of a reason to oppose it, or call it evil. If it is murder, and it's sometimes justified, then infanticide should be in the same category.

Bananas

Endangered Species
To compare abortion with infantcide is not malleable. An undeveloped feotus is not an infant. People seem to think that this miniscule of life has feelings and emotions that are equal to human, it does not, although it will have soon. Unless you can give credence to protect that then pro-life is little more than an allusion.

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
If the answer is no does it make the pro-lifer hypocritical? I think as a society it's sad that we view a pregnancy as an inconvenience that can be remedied with an abortion and it's sad that we've moved so far away from personal responsibility.

That being said, I would seriously consider it. These individuals made a decision that had consequences, to adopt the child would relieve them of that responsibility, however I am for adoption and would seriously consider adopting a child that needs a home.

icegoat63

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
If I had no means of creating my own child, you can bet I'd definitely adopt a child that would have otherwise been an Abortion case. For me this question has to many grey areas to answer it just yes or no. Because there are stipulations for me, whether I have a child or can create my own child, things like that would make a huge impact upon my choice on adoption.

I agree with you, and with your question of adopting a 3rd world child... I wouldnt either, when I know first hand that there are orphan children here in my own homeland that need a home just as bad.

Call me shallow, but I feel we should be taking care of our own before we lend a handout somewhere else.

Wade8813

Registered Member
To compare abortion with infantcide is not malleable. An undeveloped feotus is not an infant. People seem to think that this miniscule of life has feelings and emotions that are equal to human, it does not, although it will have soon. Unless you can give credence to protect that then pro-life is little more than an allusion.
You made the statement that sometimes abortion is the lesser of two evils, which implies that it is evil (or highly to be avoided, or whatever). I was trying to find out why you felt that way - but it sounds like you don't really feel that way. Am I correct?

BTW, I'm not sure how I'd go about proving that anybody has feelings and emotions that are equal to anybody else's - how would I do that for an unborn fetus? And what about emotionally stunted people? Do they not count as people? Or do they just lower the bar for what it means to have human level emotions?

Last edited:

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
BTW, I'm not sure how I'd go about proving that anybody has feelings and emotions that are equal to anybody else's - how would I do that for an unborn fetus? And what about emotionally stunted people? Do they not count as people? Or do they just lower the bar for what it means to have human level emotions?
Hybrix posted a video a while back of an abortion seen through an ultrasound. Watching the video its hard to not to say that the unborn don't have feelings of pain and anguish.