Prison healthcare - should dying prisoners receive hospice?

Carmelita

Registered Member
There is an old man in the county jail where I live and he is dying from cancer. He has a urine bag and is in a wheelchair. No one ever comes in and cares for him. He needs medication, hospice services, and to be allowed to die respectfully. What do you think about the care that prisoners get inside?

MissMe

Registered Member
The care they get is better than some get on the outside. We are paying for their care with our tax dollars while I see people everyday turned away from treatment because they can not afford it and their insurance won't cover it.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
The county jail probably don't have enough people to look after someone that is seriously ill properly and nursing homes may not want to take him. I don't know what he did but if it wasn't murder I am surprised they don't let him out.

I do believe prisoners should receive medical care. Maybe they shouldn't qualify for sex change surgery or a heart transplant but they should be taken care of. I also think everyone should have medical care and shouldn't have to wait until they are about dead to get it which is where we are at right now.

Because of my husbands illness I have had to opportunity to talk to a lot of sick people. That seems to be the going theme for the uninsured and under-insured, waited until they were almost dead to go to the doctor. Which in turn costs much more to treat them than it would have if caught early.

Carmelita

Registered Member
This poor man was convicted for having a gun in an altercation but did not shoot anyone. They were threatening his wife. I would have probably shot the attacker. I don't know why they don't release him at least to a hospital where he can get the care he needs.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
This poor man was convicted for having a gun in an altercation but did not shoot anyone. They were threatening his wife. I would have probably shot the attacker. I don't know why they don't release him at least to a hospital where he can get the care he needs.
If someone is threatening a member of your family and physically attacking them you should have the right to protect them. If its verbal then not so much.

I feel there is more to this story but even if there is they should still make sure he gets medical attention.

MissMe

Registered Member
Sounds to me that there is more to the story than that. They don't lock you up for defending your family from harm.
Release him? You can't start releasing prisoners because the are ill. What happens when you release someone and then they get better? A convicted felony is now running around free.

Jeanie

still nobody's bitch
V.I.P.
The care they get is better than some get on the outside. We are paying for their care with our tax dollars while I see people everyday turned away from treatment because they can not afford it and their insurance won't cover it.
Instead of being angry at a system that provides medical care to prisoners with tax dollars, perhaps we should be angry about a system that does not consider health care a right for all people.

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
Because it’s not. If you accept healthcare is a right, you accept you have a right to the good or service from someone else. If you accept that, then you accept slavery and indentured servitude.

You don’t have a right to a good or service provided from someone else. You don’t have a right to have the government force me to do or give anything to you. You have the right see a doctor, and he has the right to treat you or refuse to treat you. Demanding that he treat you would be in violation of the 13th Amendment to the United States Constitution. And dictating how much he is to be paid for his service would be a violation as well.