• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

MLB Prince Fielder traded to the Rangers for Ian Kinsler

Amuna1225

I got word from an insider at the Detroit Free Press about a half hour ago that this was official. Also hearing the Tigers aren't eating any salary. So, even if there is someone else involved, this is a WIN.

Dave Dombrowski is the best GM in baseball, his best move yet.

pay Scherzer, Castellanos to 3rd, Miggy back to 1st.

I LOVE IT.

Pookeo9

Registered Member
I guess it's true when they say "Everything's Bigger in Texas".. on a serious note though this is an interesting trade to say the least. Detroit gets rid of a power hitter with a humongous contract, and gets a good player in Kinsler who comes with a much cheaper contract. Texas boosts their offense even more by getting Fielder and Detroit now has the option to move Miggy back to 1st with Fielder gone. A logical trade that makes sense for both teams.

Amuna1225

Kinsler signed through 2017 for 13 mill a year, btw.

Potential Tigers Lineup:

1. Kinsler 2. Hunter 3. Cabrera 4. Martinez 5. Jackson 6. Castellanos 7. Iglesias 8. Avlia 9. ??

baseball619

Fielder had a limited no-trade clause in his contract and it turns out Texas was on his no-trade list, but he apparently waived it.

Amuna1225

Heard from a source at the Free Press there is cash involved, not another player, so hold on guys.

JayOnJays

I think Texas wins this trade if the money is right. They had a logjam at 2B with Profar waiting for Kinsler to get the hell out of Texas. It didn't look like it was going to happen and now it did. Texas doesn't lose a beat defensively, gets a hitter that hit 25 HRs in a pitcher's park and now is in one of the better hitter friendly parks in baseball. Detroit fills a need at 2B and the combo of Iglesias and Kinsler is very enticing. Where does Miggy go? Is Castellanos ready for 3B if they move Miggs to 1B (which was awful before.) It all comes down to money.

BobbyD_29

JayOnJays said:
I think Texas wins this trade if the money is right. They had a logjam at 2B with Profar waiting for Kinsler to get the hell out of Texas. It didn't look like it was going to happen and now it did. Texas doesn't lose a beat defensively, gets a hitter that hit 25 HRs in a pitcher's park and now is in one of the better hitter friendly parks in baseball. Detroit fills a need at 2B and the combo of Iglesias and Kinsler is very enticing. Where does Miggy go? Is Castellanos ready for 3B if they move Miggs to 1B (which was awful before.) It all comes down to money.
I think Detroit wins this deal. Saving a lot of money on aging Fielder. They can move Cabrera to 1st where he'll be more comfortable with his limited range. Gives them financial freedom to really get Scherzer back, and they have a spot for Castellanos to play every day.

YoungBlitz

Registered Member
Great Move for Detriot

The first domino has fallen tonight as MLB dawns for another successful tourney. It was announced that the Detroit Tigers had traded 1st basemen Prince Fielder to the Texas Rangers for 2nd basemen Ian Kinsler. As i heard about this news, all that came to me was the fact that this was a truly amazing deal for Detroit. There are many reasons why: first being the financial aspect. This move allows Detroit to get rid of the 7 year $168 million dollar contract while receiving Ian Kinsler and his modest $57 million dollars over the next 4 years. That $80 something million that Detroit is about to save will be huge as it allows them to lock up Max Scherzer long-term and/or go out and fill some holes on the roster. Next, positional depth. This moves allow Detroit to get a fast, defensively sound 2nd basemen who can provide some pop from whatever position in the batting order. Also, this allows Miguel Cabrera to go back to his normal position at 1st, while allowing rising prospect Castellanos to man over at 3rd, and also providing Victor Martinez an opportunity to play more when playing NL teams. And finally, offensive fundamentals. Detroit ends up with a solid contact hitter who may not be able to hit as many homers as Prince will, but has the ability to come up with clutch base hits and go gap-to-gap when needed. Add in that immense speed that he can apply on this offense and your looking at a key piece in the lineup card. Moreover, I don't want to be mistaking for saying this deal was bad for Texas. I believe they got back a key contributor in Prince Fielder. But overall, when you consider the whole team factor, Ian Kinsler will have a much bigger impact on his team than Fielder would. Hope everyone gets enough time to sink this in, and get ready for more moves coming this offseason.